I will soon receive my first bees, they will come in a deep hivebody however I really prefer to standardize on mediums. What is the easiest way to rotate this original box out of use? Can I wait for the queen to start laying in a medium and then put an excluder between the original deep and the new medium? If I do that and add mediums as necessary will the bees leave the deep as the brood in it emerges? What will happen (or, what do I do) with any foodstocks left in the deep frames? I would prefer to do it in the least disruptive way.
    Thanks
    George

>I will soon receive my first bees, they will come in a deep hivebody however I really prefer to standardize on mediums.

I think it's a good choice.

>What is the easiest way to rotate this original box out of use?

There are a lot of different ways depending on how patient you are.

>Can I wait for the queen to start laying in a medium and then put an excluder between the original deep and the new medium?

That's one way that is easy on the bees.

>If I do that and add mediums as necessary will the bees leave the deep as the brood in it emerges?

No. They will fill it with honey.

>What will happen (or, what do I do) with any foodstocks left in the deep frames?

You can squish and drain or if you have an extractor you can extract them.

I think once the brood emerged and the queen was excluded I would take the super and place it above the mediums over a queen excluder and top cover and let the bees clean it out. If you are just getting one hive you could leave the the old super out in the yard open and let the bees clean it out also.

Sorry Micheal, I hate to see good comb go to waste...

I have the same problem from before I made the decision to change over. I have decided to make a two year project of changing them out.

The first year I split the two broods into two hives and added mediums above.

This year I will hope that they move up and into the PC comb mediums over winter and just remove the deeps and abandon what is left out away from the yard for them to rob out. Then I will cut the deep boxes down into mediums.

I won't give up on all my deeps as they still have good uses. When I do bee romovals a deep frame is easier to work with. The removed comb when placed in the foundationless frame is used as is with PC placed above it and the next year the old comb is rotated out, wax removed, and reused for another removal job.

Another must in the bee yard is to have a bottom screwed on a deep box to hold frames when you are looking for your queen. They also make a good box for transporting your equipment, or just to sit on when doing inspections.

>I think once the brood emerged and the queen was excluded I would take the super and place it above the mediums over a queen excluder and top cover and let the bees clean it out.

That would work too.

>If you are just getting one hive you could leave the the old super out in the yard open and let the bees clean it out also.

That would work too.

>Sorry Micheal, I hate to see good comb go to waste...

But if you're converting to all mediums the wax moths will eat it anyway and I hate to help them.

I'm cutting all of my medium frames down. I just cut the end bars off at 6 1/4" and put in a new bottom bar that just goes between. I'm cutting the bottom bar from the corner of a one by cut at a fourty five degree angle. I just nail it from the ends. Acutally if you were carful cutting the comb and the end bars and there were no wires to get tangled in the saw (or you used a hand saw) I suppose you could cut them down with the comb in them. Doesn't sound easy though.

>I think once the brood emerged and the queen was excluded I would take the super and place it above the mediums over a queen excluder and top cover and let the bees clean it out.

I was thinking that I would probably have to feed the hive for awhile with a Miller feeder, would this take the place of the Miller feeder? Would there be any advantage to stacking this AND the Miller feeder? If I put this above the top cover (inner cover?)will I need another top cover above this?

>If you are just getting one hive you could leave the the old super out in the yard open and let the bees clean it out also.

I will be getting the hive in March and then I'll be getting a package in April. Would it be a mistake to leave the super out in the yard with both colonies present? They will be of very different strengths, would this promote robbing (Italians)?
    Thanks
    George

[This message has been edited by mattoleriver (edited January 15, 2004).]

Why not just use the deep, and use mediums for everything else. Eventually you will phase the deeps out, maybe you will phase the mediums out...
    I prefer the deep super. It has saved me a lot of work...

Ian

If you don't mind the mixture of equipment you can just leave the deep on the bottom all the time and add a medium above it. You don't have to lift it if it stays on the bottom.

Also if you're getting a nuc (5 frames) you could put 5 medium frames in the deep box to fill it out and they will just build comb on the bottom of the mediums and you can cut the comb off and resue them in a medium later.

>If you don't mind the mixture of equipment you can just leave the deep on the bottom all the time and add a medium above it. You don't have to lift it if it stays on the bottom.

That sounds like the most elegant solution of all. I'm too much of a newbie to even realize that was an option. Everything that I've read suggests that the queen only goes up through the hive until a new hivebody is added ABOVE her. Will she also go down through the hive to find additional room for brood beneath her?

>Also if you're getting a nuc (5 frames) you could put 5 medium frames in the deep box to fill it out and they will just build comb on the bottom of the mediums and you can cut the comb off and resue them in a medium later.

If you put mediums in with deeps would you place some on each side of the deep frames or would you keep all deeps on one side and all mediums on the other? I assume you would want to keep the nuc frames all together.

Thanks
    George

If you choose to use the first method (placing old super above excluder and inner cover, yes you would still need to have a top / outer cover or covering. You would not want to use the feeder at the same time, because you want to have the old super cleaned out as soon as possible. Depending on the size of the colony and amount of honey, two days or so to have cleaned out?

You'll have about twenty four days +/- from seperating the queen until all brood is hatched. Take that into consideration when thinking about leaving the super in the yard with a package (time frame) Yes, if both hives are present leaving it in the open would encourage robbing. You could give the package to clean out the old super also, might help their morale?