Thread: Bees and horses

I've heard/read that bees kind of freak from the smell of horses nearby. My plans are to put my 2 new hives about 200' from our horse pasture. They don't hang in that area all day, but several hours a day. Anyone think this may be a problem? Any truth to the bee/horse idea? Steve

I have four big black horses in about a 1 1/2 acre pasture. The hives are fenced off, but on a couple of occasions the horses have gotten into the hives and knocked them all over. The horses have never had a problem with the arrangment, but it has been a bit hard on the bees and on my equipment at times.

I would not put a horse where they can't run at least a few hundred yards away from the hives if they want to, just in case.

I put 2 hive at the back of a 4 acer area where 3 horses were alowed to roam. about evey week i would find hives tipped over and horse standing near.After 3 or so weeks I move hive across fence that horse could not and the tipping stopped.At times the horse still group at the fence point close to the hives looking in that direction.I think they smell the honey.I would not put hives in area with large livestock without some kind of fence around bee yard.

>I would not put a horse where they can't run at least a few hundred yards away from the hives if they want to, just in case.

How do your horses get a couple hundred yards away when they are cooped up in a 1 1/2 acre pen?

The lot is about three acres and the paddock and shelter are on the back right corner. The hives are on the front left corner. The house and shed and driveway take up the front right corner. THe pasture is only about an acre and a half, but with the paddack and all it's close to two acres, I suppose. The only reason it worries me now is I remember those vicious bees from a couple of years ago that would chase me down that far away and sting me and would pour out of the hive at me when I was 20 yards away. Most bees are not like that, but I'd hate for the horses to not be able to flee.

Last Feburary when the girls were getting into the ground feed, the horses were really kicking their feet up and running around the corrals with obvious stings in the muzzles. Glad that time period is over, the family gets a little ruffled when their pets (horses, dogs, and bird feeders) can't eat because the bees are all over the feed. Thank goodness that no one cares about the stinkin cattle or cats except dad.

Now if I could only get them (family members, we have three different homes on one farm/ranch) to quit swatting at the bees. I try to explane to them that the best way to get stung is to swat at them, they just won't listen. They mutter something like "Only good bee is a ...".

I keep my yard in a CRP field, it's a government crop reduction program that returns cropland to native grass. You can not have any livestock on CRP, so my hives are safe from large animals. Especially from those stinkin' cows. I hate cows, their nuthin' but hamburger, and the sooner the better.

Thanks for the input folks. We train dressage horses. they have roughly 30 acres to pasture on that's fenced. I want to put my hives about 150' from house which would make it about 200' from horses. From the responses, don't sound like it'll be much of a problem for horse or bee. Now if i could just convince my wife.... Steve

Hi,

Some of the spray on fly repellents contain solvents that infuriate the bees. The horse won't have much trouble if he's free, but it can create problems when they are tied up.

Some bees, like the Russians, are more sensitive to animal odors than others.

On another note, I was working a very angry AHB hive that was killing overflying birds. They were located in a pasture with a couple of horses. I thought, that's it. I'm going to have to buy a horse. But the horses grazed within 20' of the hives. The bees didn't touch them. Although they ran me into my bee truck and were attempting to sting its black plastic molding!

I stuck around for the rest of the afternoon to make sure no one wondered into the area. The horses were untouched. But the bees kept me in the truck. :> )

Regards
    topbarguy

>We train dressage horses.

Cool! I have some horses that would do awsome at dressage.
    http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/bush_friesians.htm

>they have roughly 30 acres to pasture on that's fenced. I want to put my hives about 150' from house which would make it about 200' from horses. From the responses, don't sound like it'll be much of a problem for horse or bee.

Mine graze right in front of the hives all the time, just three feet away.

>Now if i could just convince my wife....

Of what? To get bees?

I seem to remember a fly repellant that is used on horses that causes the bees to get agressive. I don't remember which it was, but I'd look for it.

Mike, my wife would be envious of your horses. We don't see to many freisens in our area. We get qtrs,paints,arabs,belgiums,etc for training. Wife is looking into freisens though,will pass your website to her. Steve

dcromwel Guest

Michael, what beautiful horses! Thanks for sharing. It's fun to learn more about the guy who's so bee-expert. What other animals are also a part of your life?

David in Baltimore

Fellows:
    A word of caution.
    Years ago my kids had a nice little shetland mare. One day when I was working the bees I accidentally left the gate open to the pen where I had the beehives. The little mare wandered in and was stung to death before she could get out.

I would not take chances; if the bees are in a pasture with livestock, be sure that they have room to run.

It is a bad idea anyway to let the stock in a pen where they can get to the hives. Invariably cattle and horses will rub themselves on the hives, or a bull will just butt them down. Then you have an angry mess to clean up. Fence them off to themselves.
    Ox

A few miles from my yard a beehaver has abandoned a couple of hives in a wheat field. Over the winter the stinkin cows knocked one over and the other's lid off. I just happened by on my way home in a freezing drizzle and put the lid back on and righted the other one. The one that was knocked over didn't make it through the winter.

These might belong to the same person as the other two I found at my secondary yard. I think that since no one has tended them for two years now, that I know of, that I might 'rescue' them. We have made some calls and the phone numbers we found don't work anymore.

I have a small beeyard that is fenced off right next to our horse pasture. The 2 horses we have will eat next to that fence especially if I'm working the bees (nosey horses). They have plenty of room to run away. The only thing I've noticed is when we first got our mare she would have a little reaction to bee stings around her eyes about once a month or so.We started putting on a fly mask for her and this seemed to help and after a couple of years now she hardly reacts to the stings at all (built up a tollerance I guess).

Micheal Bush OMG! I love your Fresians! I wish I was more into dressage...I have always had a thing for the black horses. Are they calm and gentle like most cold bloods?
    I would like to start my husband riding. He has always liked the look of Fresians with their feathers and black coats.

>Are they calm and gentle like most cold bloods?

It's not that simple. They are calm like a cold blood, they are personable like an Arab, they love to run like an Arab, they are smart like an Icelandic and they are willing. They are all the "opposites" that you usually have to choose between.

They are not cold bloods nor warm bloods. They are Baroque horses of the same type as Andalusians, Lusitanos and Lippizans.

They are the most affectionate and personable horses I've ever known.

Duh...I should have known they were the baroque style horses...My friend has a website/registry www.americanasporthorse.com There is Americana Baroque...which is the cross with that style horse.
    It's basically a registry for Saddlebred crosses.
    But they are nice..I rode her stallion Maxamillion at his first show last weekend. He is book II. (That's not me pictured on him tho )