Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

observation hive in apartment

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Glenn West 
#1 ·
I have permission from my landlord to install an observation hive this spring. Before I leap into this-what should I know that doesn't appear in the general readings. Problems to anticipate, etc, best sources.

#2 ·
Hi Mary,

First of all get a larger sized obsevation hive if you can it will slow up many problems. The one draper's super bee apiaries sells is a good one (expensive though, but you get what you pay for). Plugging up will be a problem especially with a young queen. Exchange frames with large colony to free it up and give it room. This should stop it from swarming. All so feed it, just because their is nectar coming in doesn't mean that a hive of this size isn't starving. Often they don't have a large enough field force to get enough food even though it looks like they are strong enough. Don't forget about winter. Combine them with a larger colony early enough, then split in spring to replace.

Clay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.