Thread: Hive Scales

Hybrid View

Thinking about putting one of my hives on scales. I have seen people use the big "shipping" type scales. I am wondering if one can use a set of bathroom scales leaving the hive on it all year?

What other options do you use? I just moved to this area, so I am trying to learn the nectar flow. We didn't really have one last year anyway. Hope this year is better for everyone.
    Coyote

Perhaps you should modify your profile to include your location. This way others either in your area or familiar with it could give you specifics about your local honey flow.

Coyote,

I use a 400 lb scale made to weigh game (from Walmart, under $20). I don't leave it with the hive... I pick up the front of the hive with the scale and read the weight. The total hive weight is two times what the scale reads. I put the hook under the hive right below the hive entrance so it is exactly two times the weight shown (no leverage). This way I keep track of ALL my hives weights going into winter so I know if they need supplemental feeding, and you can see when the flow starts, etc. Now, I have my hives on pallets so when I tip them the back of the hive is touching the pallet... if you have them on blocks this approach won't work unless the back of the hive is on the blocks.

I also experienced no flow this last year (I've read worst year since who knows when- that would make for an interesting post, when was there a worse year?)... better luck to you this year!