In a succesful adventure yesterday I hived my 1st swarm in 55 years. I was going to requeen it and have a new hive when it hit me that I could combine it with one of the splits I made this year and put all those foragers to work on honey. (Maybe make a split after the honey flow is over (and feed).
    How soon can I combine (after killing the queen).
    Use the newspaper trick?
    I didn't move the swarm to a new yard. It is 10' from the hive it issued from. How do those foragers switch gears to the new location?
    Any other factors here?

Dickm

I figure overnight for queenlessness to lead to queen acceptance.

Well do you know where the swarm issued from? If its one of your hvies, then ok. But if its of unknown origin, you might want to keep the queen for her genetics. They swarmed from your local area and are probably more acclimatized to your area. I don't combine my hives unless I have to, and haven't had to yet. Even the weakest hive as pulled itself together enough to stay ahead of the game. Think of it as an investment to next years hoeny crop.

Thanks guys,
    The swarm is mine. I have a # of smallish hives from packages this spring and a couple of splits. I think it makes better sense to combine the swarm with one of them and take the honey and run. The flow will be over in 3 weeks and I'll split then. I was just wondering about the combining problems with a bunch of bees still unorganized. Of course I'll kill the queen. I would do that in either case. Seems like one could fix the hive that swarmed with more space etc, and combine the swarm back to the original hive. I've never read about this.

Dickm

If I were going to reunite with the old hive I'd wait a couple of weeks for them to all settle down first.