Any of you that run your hives in unlimited
    broodnest. How do you pull the supers off when they get up 5 plus tall. Ladder, etc.
    I'm running deeps and they are getting heavier as they get taller. Any suggestions,
    Thanks, Duane.

Deeps are heavy when they are at wasit level. You may have to start pulling off the full ones so you can reach to add new ones. I have not tried it from a ladder and do not wish to. I suppose you can improve things some by putting a short hive stand on the ground. (I usually have them up on concrete blocks). You might also be able to buy a little height by taking an old deep box and nailing a 3/4" piece of plywood on top and use it for a step. I would not lift a full deep that high on a bet. Another solution is make some half width (19 7/8" x 8 1/8") deep boxes and put them on two wide for the top couple of levels. They would hold four frames each. I have tried all of these and they help.

One solution is to standardize on all mediums. MUCH easier to lift that high.

My other solution was to go to a trough hive so I don't have to lift at all.
    http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/bush/index.htm

Any of you that run your hives in unlimited
    broodnest. How do you pull the supers off when they get up 5 plus tall. Ladder, etc.
    I'm running deeps and they are getting heavier as they get taller. Any suggestions,
    Thanks, Duane.

reply:

Well I don't like them over 6 tall anymore as I'm just not so tough anymore. Granted I can still move them for 20 -30 colonies but after that .......uhhhhhhhhh. So harvest ASAP instead of all at once. I like to brush the bees nowadays. Taking them 2 frames at a time and putting in empty below. That way no lifting of heavy boxes way up in the air. Then I use hand truck to the truck then I load them (the hard part as I don't have a lift gate or boom but at least not up in the air). Alternatively I use bee escapes later in the season when robbing is prone.

Some use abandonment method. Two ways to do this. One is to set the deeps on the ground and let bees abandon the supers. Or Another is to take the super and tip it up on top of the colony and do the whole yard. After an hour or so has passed go to first and take to the vehicle as most of the bees should have abandoned. This is only good on a good flow however. I don't like this method as well as brushing as I find too many bees still in the supers. But you have to test it in your location works better different places. Need to keep an eye out later in the season for robbing. I use no chem's in my beekeeping so no fume boards.

Here's my website:
    http://wave.prohosting.com/clay2720/

Not much there yet as I'm real new at web construction but nice pic of bees drawing 4.9mm frame. Will add more to the site in the next few months as I go and learn more. Things may change completely too, who knows.

Clay

Clay, your site is nice, but nails us with three pop-ups !

When I first started the site I tried to delete the prohosting banner and they stuck me with that pop up. Only learned html and how to use FTP not even 2 weeks ago so I'm as new as you get to all this. Wasn't aware of the 2 other pop ups are they bravenet pop ups? Will try to fix things as I learn how to so bare with my for now. If any other problems let me know and one of these days I'll get to fixing it :> ) For now just X them out I'll do my best to fix things.

Clay

for my tall hives,i sometimes back my pickup truck to the hive and work off the tailgate,just don't knock them over when trying to pull up too close.

Lightbulb

On my hives that use deeps I remove a frame at a time and not lift a complete deep from that height. ( I must be getting old)
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

In unlimited brood, when you do this harvesting as you go along. Do you pull anything from the brood nest? (Bottom 3 boxes)or just replace super frames with empties? Is there any need during honeyflow to have to go into the broodnest to see where they are putting the honey? Thanks, Duane.

Hi,

In unlimited brood, when you do this harvesting as you go along. Do you pull anything from the brood nest? (Bottom 3 boxes)or just replace super frames with empties?

reply:

As Micheal B. usually says, "depends" :> ) You can harvest from the brood chambers if the third is honey bound and you need to open back up the center gut to make way for the queen. If the bees aren't bound then you leave alone. You replace with drawn comb, foundation, or combination. But use common sense here if late in the season you obviously don't want to start taking winter stores. But in the beginning or middle of heavy flow you should be fine. If you are in a drought or such the same deal.

Is there any need during honeyflow to have to go into the broodnest to see where they are putting the honey?

reply:

A check wouldn't hurt. I would double this also to check disease, parasites, health, brood pattern. I always figure if I am going to be intrusive might as well accomplish a lot with one shot. Usually if you have strong flight and pollen coming in things are fine and don't need to bother them. But if some seem odd(er) than the rest these are the ones you should take a peek in. But don't skimp on your dease detection and prevention it become more important if you work without chem's and dopes to stay on top of things.

Clay

Smile

Hi all, this is off topic, but there are free programs that can stop the popups. Here is one that will stop flash ads also.
    (No! Flash) http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/61560.html