Question

I recently took a hive and split into two hives. I waited one day and put a new queen in the half that didn't have the queen, still in the cage of course. A couple of days went by and she was not released, so I released her. Well to my surprise, I went back to check if the queen was laying and she was no where to be found. I looked for fresh eggs and found none. I thought I would let them go for a few more days. I checked the hive yesterday and I am confident she did not survive. There are numerous queen cells in the hive, but I would rather not wait for them to produce a new queen. As Mr. Bush indicated in a previous posting it will take +30 days for a new queen to start laying and then another 25 for her brood to hatch.
    I am going to order a new queen and try again. Any suggestions as to the approach or should I combine the hive back with the Mother colony.

Thanks
    Tony

>As Mr. Bush indicated in a previous posting it will take +30 days for a new queen to start laying and then another 25 for her brood to hatch.

Acutally I'd say 28 days for her to start laying from when the egg was layed, but they probably started the queen cells from 3 day old eggs so that's only 25 days and only 21 more days for the brood to emerge (3 days for it to hatch, but 18 more for it to emerge). But this is the time of year where it won't set you back that much because even if you had a queen today (which you won't because it will take a few days to get it) the brood she's laying won't be around for the main honey flow which is probably about to start. I would probably just let them raise the queen, especially since they already rejected the one you gave them once.

>I am going to order a new queen and try again. Any suggestions as to the approach or should I combine the hive back with the Mother colony.

If you want a split and you want to order a queen, then try introducing her to just a couple of frames of brood and a frame of honey in a nuc and then when they have accepted her, combine the nuc with the rest of the split. Or try the push in queen cage method.
    http://members.aol.com/queenb95/QnIntroInstr.html
    http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=644

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited May 03, 2004).]