Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey, Henry, I'm just over from you in Huntington, WV. I was inspecting my bees Sunday, 2/06, and saw them bringing in a small amount of pollen that looked light green. Good to see them flying!

I am in middle TN and I have not seen pollen being brought in yet. I have always been short on time so hefted the boxes and fed the light ones on top of the inner cover. We are supose to be back down in the mid 20s for lows this week so I am going to wait til next week to start my 1/1 syrup for build up. Red maple should be blooming in by the end of next week(may already be starting as the buds were really swollen this morning on the one tree near my hives). About 3 weeks from a few dandylion blooms. The bees real start building up after the first natural pollen. Most of my bees are from buckfast that were open mated here. A few of the swarms I removed are dark with one being black. All these seem to have the same habits of small clusters in winter with a speedy build up in spring. Most already have brood(I know one hive had capped brood about Jan. 20th it was 65 degrees). I really need to be making more frames but it is to cold to work in the shed(not really so for me but for my kids 3 and 2 as I am the stay at home dad).

>A few of the swarms I removed are dark with one being black. All these seem to have the same habits of small clusters in winter with a speedy build up in spring.

It scared me at first how small the clusters get on the dark ferals. But they sure winter on few stores and build up nice in the spring.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

That they do MB. This real dark hive had one medium full of honey in Nov.. It still is heavier than the buckfast hybred(for lack of words) ones which started with more stores. I had a light jacket on so did not get any of the stings but the covered me up when I hefted the hive(my bad left arm let it drop the last half inch or so). That so far is the only down side to these dark bees. I mowed around the hives with the weed eater with no problem but touch the hive and they get defencive. The good news about this defence is that the yellow jackets left these 3 darker hives alone as well as the hive between them.

I inspected our hives a couple of days ago when it got about 65 deg. All of them except one was in GREAT shape. Actualy took some brood frames from 3 of them and started a nuc(to limit the good ones). We fed heavy through the fall and when we checked them, a couple seemed like they were getting "honey bound". Actually rearranged some frames of honey around in the yard. The one weak hive had drone cells and one queen cell which was not capped? I gave it some more brood to see what happend. The bees have been bringing in a bright yellow pollen for about 2 weeks now. Anybody have any idea what it would be(live in the charlotte, nc area)??