Thread: 5 Acre Field

Big Grin

I started late this year, and caught one swarm last week, I am going to catch another Friday & combine the two. Wish me luck, as this will be my first catch from a wall! Question?? In this five acre patch what should I plant and when? Some clemson clover present currently.

Clover is always a good bet. Also milk weed, giant sunflower (blooms when no other sorce of nectar is around), crab apples for spring, and let golden rod take over.
    http://farmseeds.com/forages/clovers/

Dan

I always try to think in terms of filling the gaps. Something that blooms really early, really late or during a drought is usually the biggest help for your bees. But white clover is hard to beat. Red clover can't be worked by EHB's by all accounts I've heard. Crimson, I believe they can.

I'm fond of Buckwheat around here.

Down here in the Deep South, vitex (chaste tree)and heather fill in the gap between summer and goldenrod nicely. I know the bees work them, but I don't know how much nectar they get from them during the hot months. If I remember correctly, sumac blooms sometime during the summer doldrums as well.

------------------
    Rob Koss