Default What animal does this? Weird ball of bee parts

FullSizeRender.jpg

Today was too cold for bees to fly, but I went out to look at the hive anyway.
    I found this ball of bee parts on the hive's front porch. It's about a half inch in diameter--key is for scale.

What animal does this?

I am in a fairly urban area. No skunks or shrews. We do have raccoons and possums, although I haven't seen a possum, dead or alive, around here for years.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What animal does this? Weird ball of bee parts

It looks like a skunk "spitball". You might be interested in this thread, which incluses a couple of linked photos:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...nk#post1193823
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

Thanks Rader. This is interesting because I have never seen (or smelled!) a skunk anywhere within miles of here, but you never know. I think I'll set up a game cam and get that skunk on camera... The hive is raised up already and I'll add a board with some carpet tacks in front of it for Ol' Skunkie.

Looks like tobacco spit wad. I tend to see most activity in winter and in July/August.

Other signs of skunk are digging around hives, scratching or mud on front of hive. They will pull out inspect boards and remove hive entrances.

Heres a pic of mud on the front of a nuc and at the back top vent. THe nuc sits on a cinderblock

If the weather cooperates, lay a piece of plywood on front of the hive and sprinkle a generous helping of talcum powder on top. Paw prints usually show up well the next morning and can help you get an idea of what's going on.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks everyone. This will be a fun little investigation. We're supposed to get light snow tonight, perfect for looking for tracks. After that I'll try sprinkling flour and/or the game cam.

After seeing the same thing I set up a game camera and caught an opossum on camera. Don't think I saw any scrapes or muddy foot prints on the hive. The pictures of him just had his nose in the entrance. Trapped him a few days later. No more chewed bee part balls.

It's been a few years and have not seen any more chewed up bee parts. And I know we still have opossums and a skunk here and there.