Hybrid View

Hi, im very new at this and I was wondering if someone with more experiance could look at this pic and tell me if it looks normal. Thanks
    http://www.armscenter.com/oktec60/pics/bee1a.jpg

Look's o.k. to me, the frame is standing up on the end,right? honey's on the left of picture which when the frame is in the right position it will be on the top,look's like a normal brood patern,>>>>Mark

Wink

Looks fine to me, I have seen fuller brood patterns but I don't see anything to worry about. I have to assume you are concerned about the skipped cells.

[This message has been edited by Rod350 (edited June 29, 2003).]

Its looks sorta normal but Id say your brood is way too spotty Im not sure whats causing that but it might be a poorly breed queen or a inbred queen just MHO I don't think Id keep that queen.

This pic is looking at the frame as it would sit in the hive (left side), It does have capped honey across the top. I set this hive up on the 2nd of June with a Wilbanks Italian Queen and 3 pound pk of bee's it has about 5 frames that look this way. Is it normal? will the queen settle down and lay more consistant? What is the wet looking stuff in the brood area? is that honey they are storing there? Thanks

Still look's o.k. to me,The queen is young,the wet looking stuff you are seeing is honey,& pollen,they will store it close to the brood,You in stalled 27 day's ago,& they have 5 frames like that one?Do your self a favor & mail me the queen,(L.O.L).

My observations are that the frame is getting honey bound. Notice where the
    nectar and pollen is being stored.

Are there supers on?

It looks like to me the queen layed alot of infertile eggs and when they didn't hatch the bees cleaned out the cells and started to store honey and some pollen in them.This causes the hive to use alot more bees to cover the brood for cooling and heating.If you had say one complete frame of brood as compared to 5 spotty ones youd probably have almost the same amout of brood but it would only take about 1/2 the number of bees to care for them.

The pattern probably is due to the fact that they were drawing(?) from new foundation. She will go back and forth as they draw comb and may not be in a "Pattern" herself. Looks good. I have ordered alot from Wilbanks and although you can always get a bad one, I would say they have good quality.

looks great. Now add some supers, looks like they need room for honey.

I think it looks fine. A little more solid brood pattern would be better, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for the input

OK, I too hived a 3# package on June 2 and I have maybe 3 prety solid frames a bit less spotty than this, but really minimal honey and the 2-3 outermost frames haven't even been drawn yet... Should I worry?

Thanks all - This was a really helpful topic! I gotta find me a local keeper to consult!

BS

Sounds like they are ok for only having a month. I'd start feeding to get them built up more for winter.

yep, been feeding them continually since I installed them...

Have you been adding Honey B Healthy or Lemongrass oil to the syrup????? It helps them to take up the syrup.