Is the queen the only one that makes noise? Sometimes I stand between the hives and just watch them come and go, and I swear, sometimes while I'm standing there, I hear piping. Is that possible? Is she really that loud? If I hear that noise, is that a sure sign that the queen is alive and well?

There are a lot of different sounds from a hive. There are the nice harmonious hummings. There are dissonant noises at times. There are sudden raises in pitch and volume that sometimes just sound like a roaring. These are sometimes punctuated by individual sounds. The workers seem to make some of these. They aren't as distinct as piping, at least to my ear.

The two sounds that I can definitely attribute to the queen are "quacking" and "piping". A queen still in the cell will do the "quacking" sound. A newly emerged queen will do the "piping" sound.

I don't think the sounds from the workers are the same.

If you hear a clear piping you probably have a newly emerged queen. If you hear a clear quacking sound then you probably have a queen emerging but still in the cell.

On one of my hives I hear a sound when I am holding a comb of bees close. It sounds like a chitter. Like holding a stick against a dead leaf and vibrating it a little. I have heard it several times now, and only from one hive. Its not the queen I am certain, but a worker making this sound. Its distinct enough to hear that its coming from this or that corner of the comb when I am hold it up to my face.

One time when I was sticking my head in the back of this hive to take a looksee at the cluster at dusk, I heard a LOT of bees making this sound. Lots of tittering.

Pollination.com has sound bites of piping and quacking. What I heard sounded just like that and it was coming from a hive that had recently swarmed. I heard it in two separate hives on two separate occasions. I was just curious whether the workers made noise (other than buzzing) too. These little girls sure are interesting!

I have heard laying queens make it on occasion. Usually when I had them pinned marking them.