Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It could be the weather. They might have expanded the brood nest more than they could maintain when a cold snap hit. I wouldn't worry too much as long as they are white and healthy looking. I've seen hives chewing out larvae and pupae. I couldn't always figure out why. I came up with various theories depending on what was happening. Like a pollen derth or a cold snap or I'd just been working the hive so maybe it was damged or chilled brood. Of course they were only theories based on what had previously happened and they could all be wrong. I only heard the concept of "hygenic behaviour" in recent times. Maybe that's what I was seeing all along.

On SHB prevention:
    I use a light colored asbestos roof tile aroung my hives, particularly in front, to keep weeds down. Would this not also interrupt the SHB life-cycle, and prevent them from going to ground?
    Joel

Sad

The SHB larva can crawl over 6 feet unless a bird gets them

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

I have been seeing dead brood on the landing board also we have been having some crazy weather, we'll have a couple days of 70 degree weather then three days of rain, There is more fully formed white workers and drones at the entrance than larva and only a few bees had deformed wings so far.
    and there is more dead drone brood than worker brood.

If this is hygenic behavour how well do you think it will work? And what has happened to the other people who had dead larva? did it get worse or better?

Joseph

[This message has been edited by Got Honey? (edited May 03, 2003).]

The weather has gotten more consistant, The temps are much warmer, and the # of dead larva, has decreased.

So to answer the ?, things have gotten better.

Thesurveyor

Sad

If you find bees, larva’s or drones with DEFORMED WINGS on the landing board in May, I tell you this colony need help or is 100% dead in late fall.

This may be off target, or not. I've read that one of the possible combination of genes in the new egg can result in the bees destroying it. It is a sex linked problem. A large number of the new bees have a sort of XYY or YYX (I KNOW it's abnormal) chromosome problem. They would reult in peculiarly sexed bees if allowed to grow. The bees clean them out, but I don't know at what stage. The thing evident to the beekeeper is a spotty brood pattern. I'm hoping someone else knows more about this.

Dickm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12