Well I just did my honey harvest, and a friend of mine said I should leave on the super to leave the bees room. But considering its already october, i figured they would be heading into their winter cluster soon. WHat do you all think, leave super on, or don't worry about it?

I always try to leave some room until it's too cold for anything to bloom. Then I'd pull it on a warm day.

hooisyurbee Guest

MB...I just did the same thing and before I harvested I made sure the 2 deeps I had were plenty full of honey.

So do you mean that I need to pull my 2 shallows off at some time later...how do you know when to do this??? and approx. when do you do this????

I pull them when everything has turned brown and nothing is blooming and the bees are flying on a warm day. This usually happens in mid to late fall around here. I try to make sure there's been a hard freeze to kill the moths (a light frost won't kill them) before I pull them off so the moths won't take them over.

I don't leave them on because I don't want the cluster to move up into an area where there are no stores and I don't want them to have to heat more area than necessary.

If my climate were different I might have a different plan. But we have some bitter cold most winters (where I don't want them to have to heat it) and we have enough cold to keep the moths out (so it doesn't hurt to have the supers off during winter while we get periodic freezes to kill the moths). If I lived somewhere that the moths don't die out in winter I would definitely do things differently. If I lived where the winters didn't get bitter cold I might be more inclined to leave them on the hives all winter. But I don't have any experience with other kinds of climate than what I live in now, except the panhandle of NE and Laramie, WY were a bit more cold and a bit more dry.

So I have no experience with and can't say what would or would not work in other climates.

When you remove the supers are you worried about any of the honey that may be left in there? Do you store the Supers outside so they freeze when it gets cold?

I'm in the position that all my supers and brood boxes are the same size. If I have a lot of uncapped but full frames I put them together in a box and give them to one of the hives as winter stores. If I have one or two frames I might leave them in the open and let the bees clean them up or put them over an inner cover to try to get them to move it down into the brood chamber.

Yes, I always let them freeze. Putting them anywhere that they stay warm is begging for wax moths.