Question

When I last had active hives I ignorantly put old frames that had AFB scales in them (you could tell by the smell). I was using terramycin at the time so I never had an active case of AFB. Now that I'm starting up again I have questions about the old equipment.

I burned all the frames and combs but kept the boxes. I Know about the scortching of the boxes, but wounder how effective that is in killing the spores. Should I just get new boxes as well as frames and foundation?

What about feeder pails? Should I get new feeder pails to feed the bees or are the old ones safe to use?

With the advent of resistant AFB and the cost of equipment I don't want to develop AFB in my hives.

Thanks for advice in advance!

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

That's a tough one. I kinda regret that I bought some old equipment once. I scorched the inside of the boxes with a torch and repainted them and I am still a little uneasy.

I buy or build all new now.

In you case since you KNOW you have exposure to AFB, bite the bullet and start over. It would be a shame to have to burn everything you spent hard earned money buying, and the time invested in TRYING to clean up.

Some people are lucky, I don't count on being lucky.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Any good pics or AFB scales? In cleaning out old comb from auction frames I found some cells with grains of white.... Like salt but oval in shape.

I hope this is not the AFB scales you talk of.

I don't know what AFB scales look like, but what you describe may only be varroa feces. Check out the pictures at steps 6 and 9 in the link.

http://msa.ars.usda.gov/la/btn/hbb/j...pro/vrepro.htm

Great link and my white oval look exactly like mite feces....... Whew..........

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

"When I last had active hives I ignorantly put old frames that had AFB scales in them (you could tell by the smell). I was using terramycin at the time so I never had an active case of AFB. Now that I'm starting up again I have questions about the old equipment."

I am confused here, you say that the frames had AFB scales and smelled, yet you also said that you never had an active case of AFB?

How did you diagnose the AFB? Are you sure it was AFB and not EFB or just plan dead brood that was rotting and cooked down?

If you were treating the hives with TM and did not have any active case, then any AFB is not resistant, if you had any.

How many boxes are we talking about? If it was only a few, and you really think that you had AFB, I would not take any chances. If we are talking about a hundred, I would scorch them.

It was in used equipment that I bought. After I put the some of the frames on the bees I noticed the smell in the remaining frames. I took one to Marla Spivak of the U of Minnesota and she said it was AFB.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. As I said, I began treating with teramycin and I never had an active case. We may be talking about 5 boxes. I will start with new equipment.

What about the feeder pails? Are they ok?

Thanks.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers