When you use the "newspaper plan for uniting" I understand that you put the moved hive onto the other hive with paper in between with some poked holes etc. But what about an entrance for the moved hive? Must the bees on top penetrate the paper and pass thru the other hive to get out, or do you have to provide an upper entrance for the moved hive until they merge?
    I just got another swarm the second in three weeks , those swarm catchers really work!
    GABE

I would provide an small upper entrance. This way the bees can provide for the brood and also be able to feed themselves. In a few days they all will be united anyways.
    Good luck.
    Dan

I agree with Dan. Will help with ventilation also.
    Gregg Stewart

It depends on the weather at the time. I don't worry about it early in the spring or late in the fall, but in the summer it's required to keep the top box from getting too hot. I never hurts to have an entrance for both.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the answers.

For those looking up "swarm catch " by search of this forum. I got two good (large) swarms within three weeks in the same catch. It is one of those paper-mache bucket shaped ones. Yes I did use the "lure" pheremone.
    GABE