I stopped by my hive yesterday, and saw a some drones wandering around outside -- roughly 20 or so.

I'm not particulary worried about it, but am wondering if it isn't a little early for the guys to be given the boot. I'm in central Maryland, if that helps.

Thanks!

Yes it is too early. They won't typically do this until the first frost.

------------------
    Phoenix
    http://beeholder.blogspot.com/

How's the flow in your part of the country? If food is in short supply, the first to go is the drones. After that the queen will stop laying.

I live on the edges of the NJ Pine Barrens and for the second year in a row I discovered that by end of July not only did my queens stop laying they had already started using their winter stores!

My solution was to put on top feeders *fast!* and to find better locations for next year. I guess beekeeping is a lot like real estate: It's all about ocation, location, location.

Exclamation

If the flow has stopped then the bees have no need for extra moths to feed. I have seen them being kicked out early July if for some reason the flow stopped. Also if you have harvested honey then they feel like they do not have enough and yes the POOR drones get kicked out. Tuff life being a drone. You only wanted for one thing and that, to me, does not see that great of an out come!
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited August 01, 2004).]

I'm south of you and I first noticed the drones getting thrown out in early July! Right after the main flow was over the drones starting getting kicked out. I was in the hives yesterday and didn't see any drones.

Big Grin

Not here, as I was splitting today, it looked like a freakin' bachelor pad in the hives.

I've been in a bad dearth since early June, most of my drones were kicked this month

mnist, the flow has begun to slacken. My hive is up against a field with acres of white clover, but they have started to disappear. I guess the bees noticed before I did, hence the drones getting kicked out.

Question: If I feed, and kick off a simulated flow, will the queen start laying eggs, and will I then get a swarm?

It's kinda late to try to make them swarm. Plus why would you want to feed them now. You still have the golden rod bloom. They should be ok for a while. I only feed if their stores are low.
    Dan