Thread: WILD HIVE

Question

Hi Mike been awhile. Got a call about a wild hive in a old building, and I'm woundering, with the weather still being cool, if I can go ahead and catch them or should I wait for warmer weather????

[This message has been edited by SilverFox (edited March 04, 2004).]

I had a call in lare fall and am going to wait for warm weather so the girls will have a better chance of survival

What is the weather like there? If the bees are flying and there's pollen and nectar, even in small amounts, they might do ok. Otherwise I would postpone if you can.

Cool

The temp is bounceing around between the mid 40's to the mid 50's, the hive workers were harvasting pollen that I could see on their legs so must be also getting nectur I would think. The big question is should I try to capture them when it is cooler and fewer flying or when more are on the wing???

[This message has been edited by SilverFox (edited March 05, 2004).]

I guess I always figure it's harder on the bees to mess with them when they are dormant.

I'd do it when they are flying.

But I'd suit up REALLY well. Full suit is best. Rubber bands or duct tape on the ankles etc.

Thanks I guess I'll wait for a warmer day. Let you know how it goes.

Tried to catch the hive, the owner wouldn't let me cut into the building to retrive the hive so I tried to work thru an opening about 4" wide by 18", the hive extended about 2' above and 3' below. Cut as much comb as I could and Vac'ed the bees I could but don't think I got the queen. Ended up w/just a couple hundred bees they seem to be doing ok so far, but Can't see the queen. Guess I'll just have to wait vand see if they survive.