Hybrid View

Exclamation

This weekend I couldnt feed the bees because I was out of town. They probably went a day and a half without feed. Anyway, when I got home at night they were crowding around the entrance. Were they about to swarm or something? I immediately poured a small amount of sugar water on the porch of the hive for them, and they jumped right on it. After I had some feed prepared I put on my suit and refilled their entrance feeder. Boy were the bees pissed. A group of about 10 threw down on me, but luckily I had my suit on. Hopefully now that they have feed they wont fly off. The queen's wings are clipped. Does anyone have any advice, and was I supposed to take out 5 frames when I hived them? My dadant book said to make sure all 10 were in.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Frosty (edited April 15, 2002).]

Hi Chris,

I immediately poured a small amount of sugar water on the porch of the hive for them, and they jumped right on it.

reply:

Don't make a habit of doing this. Its OK if one has only one hive. But with several it could trigger serious robbing. This kinnd of robbing could totally devastate a colony(ies). Often front feeders can cause this too! Espesially when you have neighbor beekeepers in the area. Eventually you should get some sort of internal feeder.

Does anyone have any advice,

reply:

Yes it sounds like the colony is getting crowded if there hanging out. Check the hive to see if there is any queen cells which will let you know if the hive will swarm. If no.

How many combs are draw out?

Depending on how many brood chambers you run in TX, I'd recommend two. I think your about ready for then next chamber or super. You could use a partly drawn frame from the box below and put in the top to bait the bees up.

and was I supposed to take out 5 frames when I hived them? My dadant book said to make sure all 10 were in.

reply:

Depends how you hive them. If you put the whole cage into the hive after shaking some on the queen, then yes. If you leave the cage out then shake the bees on to all 10 frames. I use division board feeders as there cheap and give a gallon at a clip. So basically depends on ones approach to hiving packages.

Clay

Hi, I figured that putting sugar water on the porch would encourage robbing, but I did this when it was very late at night. The girls have drawn out about 6 of the 10 frames and the queen is laying eggs just fine. About the bees piling up at the entrance, it was a small grouping of bees around 50 I suppose. I thought that this had something to do with lack of food or something. The grouping on the porch last night was around 10 bees. Any ideas what's going on? Also, should I move some of the frames around so that they spread out more with their comb drawing? They've been slowing moving toward the other side of the hive.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Frosty (edited April 16, 2002).]

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi Chris,

I keep placing frames in the center of the hive/cluster as the season goes on. I wait untill the frame is about 85 to 90% pulled before putting a new one in place. I put a undrawn frame in the middle of a hive 2 weeks ago, and lucky me the queen was going in the right direction. She hopped on the foundation and laid eggs on it. This puts the workers in high gear to draw the cone out. Just keep in mind that the bees will only draw come if they need the space, for brood or honey...(plenty of empty come no need to make more). If no honey is comming in they have a thing for chewing the foundation.

Billy Bob

Cool

Hi Frosty, Everything sounds okay. Take the suggestion of a division feeder or even use a 1 or 2 gallon feeder pail on top of the hive. Placed inside an empty super on top and then the cover works well. Now, to try to answer your other question. The bees may just be hot and were at the front fanning to cool the hive down. Or, they were fanning the queens phermone to bring home bees. That too sounded like all was okay. Steve

Big Grin

Thanks for all of the information guys! I do appreciate it and I will keep y'all updated.

Chris