Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IPM crisco

has anyone had experience in using patties made of Crisco and confectionery sugar to use against tracheal mites and to what success?

BILLY BOB Guest

Yes, I've used it before. It worked great.

I've also talked to two different people about T-mites and they both say that if you don't treat you will lose some of your hives but not all, and that the T-mite problem can easily overcome by selective breeding.

I haven't tried this, but thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. It sounds creditable, because you can see T-mites in one or two hives, but the rest will be fine.

Why don't you use the grease patties if you have to and requeen with/from a hive that you haven't had any T-mite problems with.

BB

thanks I don't have a t-mite problem just using preventative measures without all the toxic stuff although I was told to use Apistan every year no matter what mites or no mites

I used them until I started using the FGMO fog. They seemed to work. Since I can't see the tracheal mites, it's hard to say.

Very effective against T-mites. If you are in a small hive beetle area, make sure that you use a small amount that the bees quickly clean up. the beetles find the patties very attractive.

In 1999, 2000, and 2001 I had a patty on all year long. And in those years I did not lose one hive, period! Then for some unknown reason (Laziness?) I got away from this and now this past year I had alot of winter kill. V-mites were not the sole culprit. I would like to think it was the harsh winter, but think T-mites had alot to do with it.

I wont argue (I never do....) the pro/con FGMO vs other oil line, but I am a big believer that OIL in some manner, whether essentials, FGMO, or crisco patties, make a huge difference in hive survival. I think T-mites kill alot and V-mites are blamed. V-mites kill more but T-mites are not given enough respect. I guess its the "I can't see them" response.
    No matter what else I use, I believe in keeping a crisco patty on at all times. I have also tried other shortening brands and think "Crisco" mixes and maintains the best.

Question

Greetings . . .

Please tell us (NewBEEs) how to use grease patties.
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI> How often do add new patty?
    <LI> How do you replace them in (cold) winter?
    <LI> Plain or w/ wintergreen?
    <LI> Recipes[/list]

thanx
    Dave W

How do you keep them from getting all over and making a mess?

Sorry to ask another novice question. I did do a search for this but had no luck. Could some kind soul please provide the recommended sugar/Crisco ratio for grease patties?

Thanks!
    Bill

my way to make patties is about 1/2 of a 3lb. can of Crisco and 1/2 of 5lb. bag of sugar 1/4 cup honey 2 tablespoons wintergreen oil 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil. mix and put on top of frames I use about 1/4 cup on a hive.
    Place on top bars of hive with wax paper under it
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

This is the way that beekeepers around here make the patties. Get a 1lb. container of Crisco all-vegetable shortening. Get 3 boxes of Dixie Crystal confectioners sugar.(10X Powered) Each box will be a 1lb box. Mix the 3 boxes of sugar with the 1lb. container of shortening. Mix throughly(usually by hand). This should make about 12 patties.

I use a pastry blender to mix the shortening and sugar...less mess in your hands.

Might as well add to this string what I use.

I fill a bowl with confectioners sugar and add just enough olive oil to make a real stiff medium. Then I add a few drops of teatree or pennyroyal and mix it in real well. I only treat five hives. I mix a good while to make it smooth. The bees eat on it continuously and I have to replace it at least once a month. Depends on the size of your colony I suppose.

Now, I've had problems in my hives this year. The destructor bugs almost did them in. And when I first began to use this intervention, the bees that were being tossed out of the hives were small, deformed, slivers for wings, washed out gray color.

As of this date, there are still some bees being tossed out of the hive that can't fly, But, they don't have near the degree of deformaties as those earlier this season (color size shapes and wing deformaties) which means to me that treating with oils has made a big difference in that at least. If it affects in other ways negatively that I'm not aware of, then it will show itself in one way or other later on I'm sure.

I'm going to stick with the old combs, and allow the generations of bees get themselves smaller as the comb cell sizes get smaller. I hope that in the time it takes to regress two hives starting next spring, the others will have regressed along with them, on their own. I hope.

If you really want them to go after it, go with Clinton's recipe or something close. The honey makes the difference.

I was shown to make the patties (1 part crisco: 2 parts sugar) and then to use an old ice-cream scoop - the one with the clicky thing that scrapes the bottem of the scoop. Then just plunk the scoop on top of the frames.

I use wintergreen too.

&gt;If you really want them to go after it, go with Clinton's recipe or something close. The honey makes the difference.

What about using Honey-B-Healthy instead of honey? Or my home made version of it?

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

I was searching the archives, but couldn't find it, what is your recipe for homemade honey-b-healthy?

I put the mixture between two sheets of wax paper, and roll it out like pie crust. (Chilling first helps too.) Then I peel off one sheet of paper, flip the patty onto the hive, and peel off the other sheet. I store extras in the freezer.

When I was using them I made them with crisco, wintergreen and sugar. I pressed them between two sheets of wax paper and removed the top sheet when I put them in, leaving the bottom sheet on. The bees will dispose of the paper anyway and that way it didn't fall down between the bars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast