Thread: Foundation

As I am a new beekeeper and have about 250 frames to fill with foundation What are you all using for foundation and why? I've looked at Duragilt and also at the Crimp Wired and wonder what to use. Darrell

Crimp wire for brood/extracting and thin, unwired foundation for cut comb.

David

------------------
    Maine-ly Bees
    David Wallace and Family
    Bowdoinham, ME
    dwallace@llbean.com

Are you putting wires across the frame or is the crimp wire enough. Anyone using Duragilt? Darrell

I cross-wire my brood frames and extracting frames for durability. With the number of frames I build it is much cheaper than pinning.

David

------------------
    Maine-ly Bees
    David Wallace and Family
    Bowdoinham, ME
    dwallace@llbean.com

Hi Darrell, I always cross wire my deeps. It adds a lot of strength. Some of my friends use pins and that seems to do fine.

------------------
    Jim

I have used duragilt in the past, and it saves time. I also used ritecell from Man lake, and have no problems. Used crimped wire a few years back, and wired them for stability. Now, I am regessing to 4.9, and Dadant only sells plain old wax, so wiring and embedding is a must, but since it is almost winter, I have the time to do it.
    I guess if you have the time, and want to save some cash, just get embossed wax.\

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

I am also regressing and am only using Dadant 4.9 wich only comes in wax. I am wiring it in a "X" fashion. I was using a lot of RiteCell. I liked it but I want the small cell. I've also used wired wax, Duragilt etc. I like the Rite Cell because it doesn't require wire and it stays straight even if you put it in too early and the bees don't use it. I don't like the cell size.