Hi,
    I have received some used woodenware and also some frames with plastic foundation.

This person assured me he didn't have AFB or EFB. So, how should I clean this up? It isn't very dirty or stained. But you can tell it has been used. Also there is a little comb built up in places on a couple of the peice of foundation.

Do I paint the bottom (inside) of the bottom board? One I have is solid the other is the type built of several boards.

Thanks,
    Martha

Well, I painted the inside of my bottom boards but don't know what others think...

And if there is wax comb on the frames and no reason to think anything is wrong with it, I would let the bees use it.

But this is what I'd do.

Usually the only part on the inside of the hive that is painted is the bottom board. The rest of the interior is propolized by the bees. The bottom board is likely to get wet from rain blowing into the hive or from water that runs down from the top where it accumilates in cold weather.

A secondary reason not to paint on the inside of the hive is that the bare wood will draw excess moisture during the winter keeping the bees dryer. Think of the inside of a tree that sponges up the excess water in high humidity and slowly releases it in drier conditions. It is one of the mechinisms that the bees have evolved with.

Early on I painted both the inside as well as the outside. After seeing how the painted interiors molded more than the unpainted boxes it was apparent that the moisture was higher in the painted hives. I do not recomend that you paint the interiors except the bottoms.

On the current boxes that I am assembling, I am going to try soaking them in parafin. I hear others have had good results doing so, I shall find out how it works for me.

Lightbulb

Oh, I hope to see you at the seminar in Emporia March 5th, and 6th. Be sure to introduce yourself, Dazy will be there too.

Bullseye Bill...

Dazy?

It's D A I S Y.....

Sincerely Be wild ered

He he he

Cool

thanks. I knew I shouldn't paint the insides of the hive bodies and supers. I just wasn't sure about the bottom boards.

So, how should I clean up the used med supers and inner cover? Should I do anything to the frames?

What's up on March 4-5? Is that the KS beekeepers big blow out?

My group Midwestern Beekeepers Assoc is having a bee-in on March 20th in Raytown MO. All day doing bees and some lucky person will win a whole hive complete with da bees.

Do you know Jolie and Cecil at Mid-con?

Martha

Cool

oh yeah....another question...I have one inner cover with the hole in the center the other has a little "door" on the edge. Should I drill a hole in the top of that one for more ventilation and for feeding?

did you see in ABJ the quail feeder used to feed the bees? It looks like that might be easier to handle than flipping a big jug full of syrup upside down.

AND - I guess I should ask Mid-con - have you ever gotten bees from them? Do they only carry a few or one breed? I have heard from the other beekeepers here in KC area they have great prices. No shipping for one thing!
    Nothing like driving down I-35 with boxes of bees in the mini-van!

Thanks for you patience in helping me,
    Martha

>So, how should I clean up the used med supers and inner cover? Should I do anything to the frames?

I tend to give things a once over scraping things and let the bees do everything else. Sometimes I don't get around to scraping them.

>oh yeah....another question...I have one inner cover with the hole in the center the other has a little "door" on the edge. Should I drill a hole in the top of that one for more ventilation and for feeding?

It depends on what you want to use it for. I tend to use a hole saw the size of a mason jar because I can then put a screen on the bottom of the hole and put a quart jar with holes in it on the that and refill without facing the bees.

>did you see in ABJ the quail feeder used to feed the bees? It looks like that might be easier to handle than flipping a big jug full of syrup upside down.

I didn't. I assume they look like the chick feeders.

>So, how should I clean up the used med supers and inner cover? Should I do anything to the frames?

Just scrape them and start using them. If you were concerned with the possibility of them harboring spores you could scorch them with a propane torch. Some states, not ours, have a large oven they can treat used equipment with.

>What's up on March 4-5? Is that the KS beekeepers big blow out?

March 5th and 6th. http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001303.html

>My group Midwestern Beekeepers Assoc is having a bee-in on March 20th in Raytown MO. All day doing bees and some lucky person will win a whole hive complete with da bees.

We normaly have lots of door prizes too. Also see - http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001304.html This looks like a very good program for novices. And yes, they are giving away a complete hive.

>Do you know Jolie and Cecil at Mid-con?

Yes I have dealt with them quite a bit, they are kind of cold-fish people, and hard to get to know, or even like for that matter, but they run a quality business and the prices are ok if you pick and choose. You can save on shipping by going there, or they will deliver at the meetings.

>oh yeah....another question...I have one inner cover with the hole in the center the other has a little "door" on the edge. Should I drill a hole in the top of that one for more ventilation and for feeding?

It wouldn't hurt to whittle out a 3/4 inch space on the deep side for them to use for an entrance. During the winter they will propolize it to an exceptable size they like.

>did you see in ABJ the quail feeder used to feed the bees? It looks like that might be easier to handle than flipping a big jug full of syrup upside down.

I have used them before but I find them too small. I can only attend my girls on weekends and I like to leave them with plenty of syrup. I use the miller feeders with the screens on them to decrease drowning.

>AND - I guess I should ask Mid-con - have you ever gotten bees from them? Do they only carry a few or one breed? I have heard from the other beekeepers here in KC area they have great prices. No shipping for one thing!

Yes I have bought their packages on three occasions. My Buckfasts and SMR's came from them. I have also bought queens from them as well. I can't complain about the pricing, but it is cheaper to have them shipped than to drive four hundred miles from Wichita or two-forty (round trip) from Marion where I keep most of my bees.

>Nothing like driving down I-35 with boxes of bees in the mini-van!

Done that, no problem, unless I take my dog with me, for some reason he freaks and runs from them... I am pretty sure that he would jump out the window.

Emporia is only eighty-eight miles from Olatha. Going to be a great program... esp. Friday.

>I didn't. I assume they look like the chick feeders.

Like a chicken feeder only narrower. The chick feeders I have seen are used on quarts, these are gallon size. They are available at most any farm supply store.

The gallon size with the narrow lip are not easy to find. One of the quail breeders we do business with has 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon waters for quail. Tractor Supply Company here will order them for you(the one gallon).

Cecil drives to Texas and brings back the orders... he gets reduced prices because he orders for the club etc....

He gets em from ...... Weavers.

So see the Weavers website for the bee selection....

Or call midcon...

Or visit the midcon website...

Cecil and Joli, do not believe or teach alternative or IPM...

He laughed and walked away from me by my mere inquiry...

I don't do business with them anymore.

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited February 27, 2004).]

Cool

Hmmmmm. I have noticed that they do talk alot at my bee group about doing the chems on schedule....but when I talk with the members they mostly do the mite board and check the numbers. Then decided whether to do the chems or not.

I am wanting to only do the chems if really needed.

ok Time to start a new thread huh?
    Martha