Thread: Honey bound?

henry Guest

Question

I checked my hives and a couple of them seem to be filling up with honey in the brood chamber. When I pull my supers of after the honey flow, should I extract a couple brood frames for the queen to lay in? This is my first year and was not expecting all this late honey.

It's starting to get to the time of year where they will fill the brood chamber with honey to get ready for winter. I might move one frame of honey out to keep them from getting to honey bound and deciding on a late swarm. I probably wouldn't do two, and I'd be tempted to keep that frame for extra stores to give to one of your hives somewhere sometime. If not this fall then early spring when brood rearing starts and there are empty frames.

henry Guest

The problem with that is I have no drawn comb to replace it. I was going to extract it and put it back empty for the queen to lay in . Will foundation do?

I like the foundation. Drawing it will keep them busy. They will draw it and the queen will start laying when it's only about 1/4 drawn. They finish drawing it as the larvae develop. Of course this is also dependant on warm days, which we are still having here. They don't seem to draw comb well when the weather is cooler.