i just installed my nucs today, only got stung twice, (bad weather, overcast supposed to storm) and i just spent 2 hours watching them. This is as much fun as i thought it would be. thanks to everyone who answered my questions earlier. also thanks to brent B for helping me out with the bees.

Nickoli

Hi,

What kind of bees did you get? Did everything go as planned? What did you not expect about the process? I love hearing war stories

D

PS.. I started my first two colonies about two weeks ago- it is a blast! And so interesting!

>PS.. I started my first two colonies about two weeks ago- it is a blast! And so interesting!

I started my first two colonies about 30 years ago and it gets more interesting all the time.

A local beekeeper is haveingme come by tomorrow to do a split for me . I also found me a couple of nucs to pick up thursday night about 7 PM . Being new to this I find the wait is about like waiting on openning day of trapping season LOL .

I have 3 deep brood bodys and several supers with foundation with embeded wires waiting . A spot with Black Locust in full bloom and black rassberries will be open in about 2 weeks . Bean fields just getting planted and pastures with alphalfa and clover near by along with a creek . Hope all goes well .

Drifter

Wow, sounds like a perfect venue for an apiary I am jealous! Keep us updated on your progress.

D

girls are doing well, although they do get grumpy when it is overcast, i tried to look at them yesterday afternoon (overcast, just had gotten done raining) and i was their only source of entertainment and got zapped twice. but they are bringing in the pollen and look like they are doing well. i will have to check the queens today or tomorow if the weather cooperates.

Very cool, you were stung twice? or they just bounced into you twice?

Went to the beekeeper doing a split for me today . Did a split with 2 frames of brood will get to check on them Saturday .

Wondering about transporting my new nucs . Where I am getting them he told me to bring 2 hive bodys with 6 frames each of foundation . Going to pull the frames out of the nucs place into brood bodys and bring them home . This will be done after they all return to the hive for the night . From what have been reading they won't take this action kindly .

If I take 2 lids per body can I safely transport them in a SUV or should I take my pickup ? I don't think would be advisable to try a 2 1/2 hr drive in my bee suit .

Drifter

Hey drifter,

I used my pickup truck... you may want to put a nail in to secure the 6 frames so they don't move around as much. I think I may have killed my queen during their transport, even after securing them. I would feel comy in SUV if you nail the hive to the bottom board with a hive staple and put a net across the entrace so they can't fly around...

D

stung twice, once on the arm once on the leg( i was wearing shorts) but looking at them again last night, just by removing the top and not the inner cover, it looks like two of the 4 queens may be out of the cage. the bees are no longer swarming over the cage. If it does not rain tonight i will pull a few frames.

If you have a choice, take the pickup. There are ALWAYS some bees outside of the boxes no matter how you close them up and they can be distracting to your driving. Probably they wouldn't bother you, but why take the chance?

Used the truck like you said . They made the trip fine . Got em home about 11 thursday night . They are all flying up a storm in the berry patch . Ended up with starlights and a carranola (sp) ?

Drifter