Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone give me an idea what the going price is for established, inspected hives. (Includes: bees, 2 deeps, 2 med supers, all frames drawn, bottoms, tops, and queen excluder, and oh, yes includes bees too...
    thanks.

[This message has been edited by Jim A Ohio (edited August 19, 2003).]

Around here I have seen them go from $50.00 to $80.00 per double complete hive with bees
    Depends on conditionof hives and how bad the buyer wants them
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

BILLY BOB Guest

I think they sell them for more around here Clint. Around $100.+ I'd say. Jim you might want to find somone closer to your location for the info. I'd say the price will vary greatly from one part of the country to another.

BB

clinton:
    >Around here I have seen them go from $50.00 >to $80.00 per double complete hive with bees

Are you serious? Geez, I can't get NUCs that cheap. Package Bees maybe.

>Can anyone give me an idea what the going price is for established, inspected hives. (Includes: bees, 2 deeps, 2 med supers, all frames drawn, bottoms, tops, and queen excluder, and oh, yes includes bees too...
    thanks.

I've seen people selling drawn wax comb for $18 a frame (which I think is outrageous) and I've bought two truck loads of bee hives, pollen traps etc. for $200. Prices vary a lot.

If the equipment is in perfect condition (like new) then I'd say it's worth at least $200 to $250. You'd have to spend more than that to buy it and then you'd have to put it together and paint it and install the bees etc. If the hives are old and dilapadated then it's probably worth less. Unless there is something special about them I probably wouldn't spend much more than that.

Last spring I sold doubles for $105

I saw loads of singles sell for $80 each this past spring. 5 frame nucs were $40-50.

I wouldnt even consider buying bees this time of year unless I was shipping them south.

Ok, Many thanks for all the response. The wide variety actually does help me a lot. I can see from the wide range that it really depends on how much the buyer wants them, how much the seller wants to get rid of them, and everything in between. I'm paying $180.00 here which I thought might be a bit high but the equipment is in good shape, no indications of disease and no sign of varroa as of yesterday. I weighed this against the wooden ware/frame/foundation price with shipping, assembly, painting, package price, plus the cost of feed while frames are drawn and the likelihood of a minimal harvest the first year and was thinking the established hives were the way for me to go, but I wondered about the price. Thanks for all the input and an excellent forum on all counts.

Jim, I will assume your from Ohio. I can add that the prices in the Ohio area are very high compared to other parts of the country. This is across the board with bees, queens, pollination services and the like. This site has links to website breeder and bee service companies and I'll take Buckeyebees for example, they have some of the highest prices out there the last time I checked.

Thanks Bjorn for the insight on Ohio, and yes, I am in Ohio. This was my first year in beekeeping and I enjoyed it enough that I want to expand. I guess another attractive factor is that the hives can stay where they are which is only about an 1/8 of a mile away from my home. Thanks all again.

i think between $150-$200 is fair for a hive like you described,depending on where you are in ohio(from section /?),i could maybe recomend someone close to you.

Billy Bob, you ever have any extra to sell in the Georgia area?

The fella out here is selling frames of brood for nine dollars a frame. I think that's a couple of dollars too much.

But getting the equipment all ready and filled, I'd say you've saved money by buying them.

Jim A: What part of Ohio are you from? I'm in Cincinnati...

Iowabeeman,

I'm guessing you only run deeps for brood?

I'm sticking with mediums, and they are a little difficult to find established hives...

BILLY BOB Guest

Branman,

I don't sell hives very often. I'm stil building up my bee farm, but e-mail me and we'll talk about it. You are one of the locals.

BB

Howdy Jim & Brandon --

I have used only Mediums for many years.
    Now I do not go big for honey, but produce
    bees to sell. For a strong colony in two
    Mediums I get $100. This size colony winters
    well in this area if it is HEAVY in October.

All my bees are from ferile stock - colonies living in walls and swarms from
    those colonies. These bees have managed to
    build some sort of resistance to mites and
    do well in spite of some mites.

After I get them, I use mineral fogging
    to finish off the mites they have.

Doc

Doc,

Well, I do have three hives of your bees currently. I bought the hives from Micheal Bush last spring. I've been very happy with the hives. I would be interested in buying a fresh queen from you if you'll have one available the second or third week of September. Send an e-mail...

Anyways, I would be interested in buying a few hives again, but would have to have enough people interested in buying hives also to pay for the trip.

Cool

I sell colonies with two brood boxes[ 9 3/4"]
    for $300canadian.Nucs for $125canadian.Queens for $25canadian.

Big Grin

hi all
    I also sell 3 frames of bees or queens all yr long all treated with wintergreen oils and foged =fgmo===pick up only
    Don

P.S advice no charge help free most of the time samples by request