Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sorry it took so long to post - i needed some extra sleep after all that!

it took me 6 hrs then i went back for the final sucking up of the remainder bees and that took another 45 minutes cause i found a hiding spot of theirs

i did end up removing the ceiling boards not too much trouble and i did end up making my dad help out and you're right he wont be telling people that i'll do it for free any more. he told the guy how much drapers does it for ($200 plus $1.00 per mile one way - $75.00 for just a wasp kill/pick up) and i guess the guy offered to pay something, then dad found out that his deceased uncle has about 30 hives, some with bees, along with possible equipment - so he's going to see what he can do and give me that instead of money (all thats worth more any ways)

there was about 5 ft of bees/comb in between the rafters with about 10"-12" height space. i cut and saved 10 medium frames of brood, im not sure on how to guess how many bees are in an area but by comparing them to a deep box im guessing it to be equivalant to 1 deep and 1 medium, do you think thats about 30,000 - 40,000 bees?
    i seen about 5 queen cells (uncapped), i never did see the queen, i guess i'll find out in a week or so when i get in the hives to see if they made queen cells from the eggs that were in the saved brood comb.

they are still real mad at me, i couldnt even get close to the hives without putting on a suit - is this normal? While extracting them they were actually quite calm! i only got stung about 10 major stings and then some minor ones, i dont think that was too bad. I hardly swelled up at all this time, theres only 3 that are still slightly swelled up today.

i crushed and strained all the honey but i had to keep the uncapped seperate from the capped, is that what most of you do from an extraction? it was quite watery still, i figure i can feed it back to them, should i freeze it? from the sealed honey i got 2 gallons and the watery honey about 2 1/2 gallons, i put all the comb out for a "cleaning" from the bees, they're still working on it today

there are two very large Catalpa trees in the front yard im assuming that most of the honey is from them, since they just bloomed a few weeks ago, such a different taste.

i used the bucket style beevac, but the only hose i had was a 2" diameter ribbed one. i had a hard time regulating the air flow at first then i think i might have had to much suction. i feel that i had too much die off but im really not sure how much is expected.

i put 5 frames of brood in a deep along with 5 undrawn frames and the other 5 frames in a nuc box (i thought i had a medium box and didnt - and yes i know they will most likely make a mess of the medium frames in a deep box) then i poured the bees on top of the two boxes that i sat next to each other they wouldnt go down into the boxes so i put the lids on side ways. Couple hours later i left to get the remainder of the bees and while i was gone it rained - expecting them all to be down in the box so that i could pour the remainder on top again - but they werent, why do you suppose that they wouldnt go down in the box?? i had to squish some to close it up and as for the remainder of the bees i put them in two of the boxes that packages come in along with sugar/water
    the next day there were quite a few of dead bees in the bottom of the packages, again why?? i dont know

so now i need to know what i can do with the bees that are in the packages, no i have no more boxes to make more hives, how much fighting will go on if i pour them into one of my established hives, or could i just open up the packages in the front of the hives (3 + the nuc) and let them figure out which home they want to go in, will they be excepted into them, will they be better excepted if i spray them with HBH??

so many questions, sorry and thanks to you all that helped me out here and in the chat room!

Deanna

oh i just remembered...
    not once did i use my smoker, it sat on the ground and went out, they were so calm
    they look like my bees at home, Italians

Dee,

Why are you seperating the bees up?
    I would put all of them in one hive and keep them together. I would think that the ones that are not in with the queen would migrate to the queen anyways.

I generally remove a couple of frames from the center and either pour the bees directly into the hive or place an excluder on and pour them on top of that and try to see if I have the queen(99% of the time I have the queen even if I dont see them.

Much of the time when I pour the bees on top the will climb back out and on the outside of the box. I just put the lid on and come back the next day and they are all inside(with the queen).

Above all else, "DID YA HAVE FUN"???
    Ive always enjoyed extracting bees from a wall.

What did you wear to extract the hive??? I use a white ty-vek suit and never been stung through it unless it tears and I dont see the rip. Sounds like to many stings though.

When I have extracted a hive they do get alittle angery but they calm down by the following day.

<<Why are you seperating the bees up?

they wouldnt all fit in the one deep, and like i said they wouldnt go down in and we had some major storms, i didnt want them dying after all that work i did, its not that i wanted them seperate, i need more boxes built!!

i dont know if i got the queen or not, or if she died in the beevac??

<<I would think that the ones that are not in with the queen would migrate to the queen anyways.

theyre staying in the boxes i put them in

<<Above all else, "DID YA HAVE FUN"???

it was quite the experience and id love to do again!

<<What did you wear to extract the hive???

just a cotton suit with zip-on veil from drapers, usually when the suit is tight to me they can get me, plus i had shorts and a tank top on so really i only had one layer on where i got stung, they seem to be able to sting me thru my gloves as well (5 on my left hand alone)

<<When I have extracted a hive they do get alittle angery but they calm down by the following day.

i want to get in there and see how theyre doing but wasnt sure how long i should wait to bug them again

Dee,

Do you have a spare deep?
    sometimes I will put a deep on top without any frames and pour them into there, that way I can put the frames in after they are inside the top box. Even with a storm I probably would have kept them together and in (1) hive.

I normally go back a day or two later and start pulling frames and looking for the queen, if I dont see her I go back a couple more days later and look again but the best proof is to see worker capped brood.

Dee, while I am a newbie at all of this and have no basis to make any educated remarks, I did want to say thanks for taking the time and effort to share your experiences with all of us. It has been quite the vicarious adventure.

Wink

The capture box part of my bee vac is the same size as a hive box, after and extraction I normaly set the capture box on top of the hive and leave it for a couple of days, they will go down on their own. Pioed bee you bet, think about you upset their home, and probly the box doesn't smell like their old hive. they need to sort themselves out and get organized, again.
    Instead of using insecticide or poison I tell people to spray them w/a strong soapy mixture, no fumes or residue, plus it removes the pherimone. Make sure that ALL the wax, or at least as much as possiable, is removed.
    When I do an extraction I give myself between 2-5hrs, and make sure to take a couple of breaks, one to relax and 2 to figure out what I need to do next.
    Finding the Queen, if I don't see her during the process, I check the hive in a week and if no queen I'll combine that hive w/a weaker one. I just don't like stressing the bees anymore than necessary. So I do not dump them from the box to the hive.
    As you do more you'll develope what is the best way for you, each one brings about its own problems and leaves you the challenge of finding out the best, safest, easiest, and the least stressful way to extract the hive, comb and bees.
    During the first week I'd keep all the bees from the capture together, their strength is in their numbers, they will repair any damage to the comb and remove debris, dead, or dying larve or bees, and will clean up the mess caused by honey and or nectur dripping.
    As for the fluid you got (honey in the raw form) feed it back they will use to repair damage and repair comb and may also store some, just give it to them, unless there is plenty left in the comb.
    I always look forward to the challenge by an extraction, it is great. Makes one have to think, reason, and find logic answers to the problems at hand.
    So far this year I've done 14 and each one is different.

------------------
    'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

Good job. Glad it all worked out. Try to keep all the bees together from that hive.
    Dan

Hi Dee sounds lke all went well.I to would trie to keep all the bees in one hive.You could just set them on top of the other and they will all get along great.But if you want to boost one of your weak hives use newspaper.But befor you do make sure where the queen is.thatis is why i would keep them all together.Did you need the asprin? lol

Bob

i just went out and bought some more boxes that was my main reason that they didnt get put all together (there just wasnt room in the one deep) - my hubby was suppose to build them for me.....

i plan on putting them all back together, i was going to get to it today but time ran out

i have the packaged boxes in my house and my cat wont even go in that room - makes me wonder if she was being a nosey cat one day and they got the best of her.

thanks for all and no i didnt need the asprin, my reaction to the stings were actually quite mild compared to the last time i got stung (less stings than this time - go figure)

now that they've been in different locations/boxes for a few days i should probably do a newspaper combine now - what do ya think?? I think i'll need to get up early tomorrow and get this all done, im busy the rest of the day till around 5:00pm

if they did end up queenless both the deep and nuc had eggs in the saved brood comb so i should see queen cells

my dad is suppose to be sealing up the fascia on the soffet but i told him to give a week so if there are any local bees they'll clean up any remaining honey, etc (there wasnt much left over but im sure it couldve been scraped a little more but after 6 hours i was beat! (and knew i had to go back before dark)

i cant wait to do more but i wouldnt mind a swarm on a branch for a different experience, of course still waiting to see my first swarm in the air - thats got to be such an awsome site!

Deanna

I GOT THE QUEEN!!!!!!!

she was in the nuc box, and the deep box had made about 12 queen cells, all looks good and the queen is already laying eggs

cool Dee the asprin was for the headach from the home made wine lol.my bees have been swarming another last night.i am not sure why they have room and all looks good.guess i can do nuthing to stop what they do naturaly.i am out of equpment now so ill have to combine some swarms.