Last week I thought fall was on the way. Inserted the solid bottom board into my hive and started feeding them 2:1 syrup. Well, the temps this week have been ~82 degrees and humidity drops to 6% at times. Went to add syrup, but noticed a nice sugar crust (looks like ice)on top the syrup. Also notice they are not quickly cleaning out some burr comb I left on their front porch. They are hitting the water feeder hard, guess I'll just start adding water for awhile until things get a bit more colder outside. Problem is this time of year it can be 80 one day and two days later snow will be on ground.

rwjedi Guest

Sounds like your bees must be too busy collecting nectar or something. I put 2:1 in hive a couple times and they sucked it up and stored it faster then I could pour it. This was a couple weeks ago.

Obviously you still have a flow somewhere. I don't . I'm feeding 2:1 and they are taking it like crazy. Five gallons a day.

rwjedi Guest

5 gallons a day per hive??? Holy COW!!!

MB....

Are you feeding each hive 5 gallons of syrup each day??

How many days will you be feeding like this??

FIVE GALLONS ADAY,IS THAT ONE HIVE????

My hive that is building up, is taking so much sugar syrup Im about ready to add C&H sugar to my stock portfolio.(and they just use a quart a day) when there was a flow they wouldnt use a quart in a week.

No, it's open feeding and it's not five gallons per hive. I have maybe 10 good hives here and another 30 nucs. I just keep hoping for a good rain and a fall flow. I haven't checked on the outyard, but I think there is a flow out there. For one thing there's a lot of buckwheat which doesn't seem to care about the drought and there seems to be a goldenrod flow there. It's 60 miles from here.

Yep, it's to dry for 2:1. The dry air is evaporating the water. the bees are under the crust digging for moisture (I think). Added just water to give them something to drink and redissolve the sugar.