Hello all...

any thoughts about the plastic frames and foundation all in one??

from glorybee.com it is 1.75 ea for a deep

any other places that might be cheaper?

I never cared for the plastic after trying some many years ago.But I got in a bit of a bind for frames this summer and tried around 1500 of the black plastic deep Pierco.I have to say the bees loved them and most got drawn out beautifully.I havent extracted any of them yet,and I may hate them after that,but right now I think I am done with wood and wax!

I rather like the ones I have. Draws well and is sturdy as all get out.

Thats all I use, I also use beemax polystyrene hives, with wooden tops and sbb (that I make) all in medium supers. After 30 years of lifting Deeps, ouch, I now opt for mediums. Only 40-50 lbs instead of 80.
    Dan

I have the white pierco frames and I don't care for them much. The bees don't draw them out as fast, and they tend to make gaps of comb on the frames, not drawing them evenly. I've never had the black ones, so maybe color makes a difference. I have white frames mixed with wodden ones in the same hive, and the wooden ones with wax foundation are drawn beautifully, while the plastic ones are not.

Since I'm doing natural sized cells they don't work for me. But I have a lot of PermaComb that I wax coated to make it smaller and I love it. FULLY DRAWN plastic comb. The wax moths can't touch it.

dtwilliamson Guest

I use the black plasic Pierco for brood and the Ritecell in my honey supers. I prefer the black... I found that my bees draw them out better for some reason than the white pierco frames. Don't know why that would be but it is the same way in all 3 of my hives.

My bees have absolutely no problem drawing the plastic Pierco or Ritecell. I cover them with sugar syrup before placing them in the hive and have no problem with them. I haven't extracted with the plastic frames yet but if they do well, I'll never buy wood again.

I have noticed that my queens don't seem to want to lay in the Ritecell as readily as they lay in the Pierco. I have no idea why. I have put Pierco above the brood nest (all Pierco) and the queen moved right up into it and started laying. I put Ritecell on above the brood nest (all Pierco below) and they just filled it with honey. Queen never layed in my Ritecell once. I am wondering if cell size has an impact on the queens willingness to lay in them (I believe Ritecell is larger)but I am no expert on that. Maybe it was just coincidence.

I buy my Pierco from Lapps Bee Supply. They cost 1.35 for the med and 1.45 for the deeps if you buy it by the case.

[This message has been edited by dtwilliamson (edited August 18, 2004).]

"Since I'm doing natural sized cells they don't work for me. But I have a lot of PermaComb that I wax coated to make it smaller and I love it. FULLY DRAWN plastic comb. The wax moths can't touch it." MB--Why not? I thought the Wax moths go for wax. Are there plastic foundation that it the whole thing, including the cells? The plastic foundation that I have seen is just that, foundation. The bees still have to draw it out with natural wax. Why aren't the Wax Moths getting to the drawn cells?

The wax worms (moth larva to be exact) prefer eating the cocoons of the bees. They also prefer to go down the midrib of the comb. Since this is plastic they can not eat it. They do not eat wax but the cocoons, waist from the brood, and stored pollen.
    Dan

dtwilliamson Guest

He says it all in his post... Permacomb is Fully Drawn plastic comb.... the cells are plastic and fully drawn out (all plastic all the way out....) The bees cap it with wax but that is it.

Thanks guys. I'm learning everyday (more likely, learning that all of my assumptions are wrong!!!)

I have had them eat all the wax off of plastic foundation. But PermaComb, as mentioned, is not foundation. It's comb. Everything but the caps are already there. Sometimes a wax worm goes across the top leaving web, but that's all they do.

Last weekend while pulling honey, I came across my first deadout. A weak swarm that went queenless while I was busy moving out of my home.

It was full of wax larva geting ready to hatch. Very easy to scrape off the webs and shake out the larva turds. No damage to the PC, just reboxed it and gave it to another hive that needed the brood space.