Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.9mm

This may be why some are hit harder mid winter than others, but mine seem to get hit hard in the fall.

Hello Everyone,

My observations concerning fall mite buidup match alot of what Michael describes. In addition I have experimented with powdered sugar treatment and have treated hives throughout the fall every several days. The mite fall was counted and the results indicate that another factor besides mite immigration and shrinking broodnest.

Daily mite counts would increase steadily but within three days would often skyrocket by 2 magnitudes, return to a more normal count and then spike again maybe a week later.

I think the mites can sense the end of the season and most enter cells almost immediately for reproduction rather than spending as much time questing.

Just Another Thought
    Dennis

In the fall the queen does stop raising drones so the mites would be infecting the worker brood more.The worker brood mature faster than drone brood.The deformed workers would start showing up more too.Im sure the farther south you are the longer your drone rearing season so it would vary alot with location.