Thread: mite control

Angry

With all the ideas out there to treat for T & V mites, you don't know who to believe. I realize this is a redundant topic, but it is one that continually haunts us and our bees. I have started switching my bees over to russian and NWC bees to maybe get a better handle on the mites. I am getting tired of the cost of the apistan and checkmite going up every year. Who do you believe?

Has anyone used the bee calmer mite solution. I have been researching the idea of using the solution along with the FGMO treatment, but with little success.

I am currently working on using the FGMO treatment, but am having a hard time finding the mineral oil to use.

I think it is wonderful that there is something out there other than poison to kill the mites. I mean organic ways of treatment.

Frustrated!

>Who do you believe?

The first thing you need to get a handle on is monitoring the mites. Then you can believe the counts, instead of all the ideas. Get a SBB with a tray or make one. During the year get on a schedule and count the natural mite fall. Once a day or once a week. Just so you count them and make notes. If the mites are staying steady you're doing well. If they are growing exponentially then your solution is NOT working and you need to do something else! Don't just take it on faith that what you are doing is working. Even if you use the chemicals, Apistan or Check-mite can fail if the mites are resitant. So you have to learn to monitor the Varroa mites.

>Has anyone used the bee calmer mite solution.

I have not

>I have been researching the idea of using the solution along with the FGMO treatment, but with little success.

As in doing two seperate but useful treatments or trying to create a new method os using one in the other?

>I am currently working on using the FGMO treatment, but am having a hard time finding the mineral oil to use.

If you want something to fog with and use in the cords without the thymol, go to WalMart or Walgreens and get some of the mineral oil laxitive. That's what I use. If you are using the Thymol in the cords then you may need to be more careful about the specific weight.

Topbee:
    This forum has listed places from which to order the FGMO in gallons or more several times. I ordered 5 gallons and got it in here for around $70. Gallons will run around $12 plus shipping.

The forum has also listed several sources for Thymol. While it is not a common item, any chemical supply house can order it. I found one fellow who would supply it in any amount for $40 per pound if I could guarantee him the first 4 pounds sale. I could not find 3 other people, so I ordered a pound out of Antec, Inc in Houston(they are on the web, have an 800 number and take credit cards) for $45 plus shipping. Probably enough to last me the rest of my life.

Dr. Ropdriguez has been meticulous in presenting his results, and a number of practical beekeepers have reported success with FGMO. Clearly it works. The big attraction for me is that it does not contaminate the honey as does Apistan, is non-invasive if you prepare the cord trays as has Dr. R. and it gets both the tracheal and Varroa mites.

Beekeepers should not inhale the FGMO fog, but it is nowhere nearly so dangerous as is the oxalic acid treatment.

One thing I have learned; it pays to smoke the bees and calm them a bit before fogging. I'm sitting here with a fat lip from fogging mine. Twenty minutes and two miles later I smoked and fogged my neighbor's hives and his bees took it as calmly as a stroll to church on Sunday.

>One thing I have learned; it pays to smoke the bees and calm them a bit before fogging. I'm sitting here with a fat lip from fogging mine. Twenty minutes and two miles later I smoked and fogged my neighbor's hives and his bees took it as calmly as a stroll to church on Sunday.

I always wear a veil, but I've never smoked them to fog them.