I have a market that sells and bakes with honey. They would like some darker honey, but not aster. Other than the aster/goldenrod honey that blooms about the same time, what other honey would be dark, and collected on the east coast?

I have alot of amber/medium honey this year. Is there anyone in the central Pennsylvania area that would like to swap a bucket or two of dark honey for some lighter variety? Thanks.

In my area of the Northeast: Connecticut, I find that Polygonum cuspidatum (Japanese Knotweed) produces vast ammounts of dark honey in the late summer.

Over here in Eastern Oregon mint makes a strong dark honey.

You can make it your self though(found out by accident). I extracted several feral hives out of walls this year, I but the comb in a large canning pan(the blue ones) and stuck it in the oven on my lowest setting(170 degrees) and stirred occasionally until all the wax has melted. I then took the pan out and let it cool. Every thing floats on the honey and the wax encases it. I then remove the waxy remains and rewarm the honey then strain it through a pair of pantyhose once or twice.

The honey is very dark but does not have a real strong flavor like buckwheat or mint but it is alittle stronger than amber honey

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

In the Northeast Thyme is a very dark reddish honey. This year I got quite abit of it.

The other good dark honey is buckwheat.

In PA you should be able to locate some good buckwheat fields.

Here is a link for buckwheat: www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/bjorkman/buck/guide/index.html

Buckwheat is also easy to grow and you can get several crops per year if you are looking to darken some honey.