Thread: queen cage

Yesterday I installed a new queen into a hive ,and this morning I was surprised to see her still in the shipping cage with a couple of attendandts.The marshmellow plug was gone -but there was a small splinter of wood raised up within the hole to prevent her from escaping.I pulled the screen back and she walked out just fine.Next time I will not be so hasty when removing the cork and inserting the cand plug-lesson learned.

Actually I've had enough of them fly out and off, I think hasty is a good thing when putting a candy plug in. Of course you always want to check to see how things go, because stuff happens.

Agree with Michael on the queens flying out... feel like a dope when it happens, and still swat at her trying to catch her... bad news.

Got a tip from an old beekeeper though, sounded rough but use it faithfully to this day when hiving packages.... taking out the can of syrup and the queen, pour the syrup into her cage and soak her, then turn her cage upside down to drain on the side.... dump bees in hive, then take cage and hivetool and open screen on top. She is sticky and can not fly...

have not lost one SINCE trying this way... sounds rough, and against the grain.. but it works....

Kevin

I'd be afraid of drowning her. I've seen too many drowned bees. How about spraying her with water mist until she's wet?

Mike,

Like I said... it sounds rough, but I have used it the last two seasons without a problem hiving 40 packages last year, and 20 more this year.

The thing I like about it is that it was fast... you can use your hive tool to pop that mesh out of the syrup can, then pour that in the cage, then turn it upside down... hive the package, then hivetool again on the screen of the cage...

Guess both will work, but, like they say...

"ask ten beekeepers, get eleven different ideas"

Cheers & God Bless,
    K