Thread: Help update

Hi everyone.I checked on the hive today & noticed some brood emerging some still born, & some barely alive. I'm not sure if this is caused by the verroa problem I had, or is it associated with a virus from verroa. The queen is laying lots of brood. Will this eventually clear up or is my hive doomed.

>Hi everyone.I checked on the hive today & noticed some brood emerging

That's a good thing.

>some still born,

Meaning they died in the cell?

> & some barely alive.

Meaning they are not able to get out of the cell? I'm not sure how you concluded they were barely alive?

>I'm not sure if this is caused by the verroa problem I had, or is it associated with a virus from verroa.

Generaly the virus from the varroa will cause deformed wings and stunted looking brood. Dead brood in the cell is generally from it getting chilled, either because the brood nest expanded and then a cold snap made it impossible to keep it all warm with the number of bees there were, or a beekeeper opened the hive when it was too cold out.

>The queen is laying lots of brood. Will this eventually clear up or is my hive doomed.

I'm not clear how bad or what the problem is from this description. Do you see a lot of varroa on the bees? On the bottom board?

How warm is it there right now? Is it in the 50s or 60s or 70s? In the 50s I'd peek inside. In the 60s I might pull a frame out to see brood but would put it back pretty quick. In the 70s I might do a thorough examination of the brood nest.

If you have a lot of mites, you could use Bwrangler's Oxalic acid evaporator and treat them. It works better on a day when the bees aren't clustered. It might knock down the mites. http://www.geocities.com/usbwrangler/oxal.htm

How many frames are covered with bees? What size frames?

Here is some history of my bee situation. I Started off with a verroa problem & began using apistan. I currently do not notice any verroa on the bees or on the screened bottom board. The young bees that are emerging do not have any deformities and seem to be in perfect condition. Unfortunately, some are dead in the cells or walking arond near death & do not seem to have good coloration, whitish color. I Then noticed last weekend some bees walking on the ground away from the hive not able to fly & near death. Diagnosis, tracheal mites. So here I am trying to make sense of this all. Currently, the tempatures in Anaheim Ca have been in the mid 70's so I have been able to check on the colony without fear. I'm using a full depth super 9 1/8 frames. The amount of bees I have are about two frames worth.

The Oxalic acid will kill both the Tracheal mites and the Varroa mites. If you buy a Burgess propane insect fogger and some mineral oil laxitive from the drug store, you can treat them with the FGMO (Food Grade Mineral Oil) fog and that will kill the tracheal mites. You can buy some menthol and follow one of the recommended methods for administering that and that will kill the tracheal mites. Grease patties will only keep them from reproducing, and will do nothing to kill the current ones. I would do one of the above to kill the T-mites.

If your bees have tracheal mite the easiest way is put two trays on top of the brood frames and filled them with Thymol crystals. It solves the problem in a short time and kills the Varroa also.
    You can purchase Thymol in your local pharmacy and the trays from the Vaporizer web page. Using Thymol crystals without the trays isn’t a good idea, bees removing the crystals to the outside in a short time.

Axtmann, what are thymol crystals used for in human use.

Thymol uses : Perfumery, Oral Hygiene, Preservative, Anti-Oxidant, Flavouring Material and Pharmaceuticals
    http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/current/noframes/5749.htm
    http://www.uhe.com/thymol.htm

Waxed Dental Floss with ZYTEX!
    Put Zytex™ where brushing can't reach! This 50 meter shred-resistant floss is coated with our special combination of Eucalyptus, Thymol and Zinc. This breath freshening floss gives patients a new reason to clean between teeth.

The thymol product most recognizable by most Americans is Listerine. It has Thymol and eucalyptol and those are what make that trademark Listerine taste.

Thyme is a spice and Thymol is an extract from Thyme.

Smile

Where in the pharmacy can I find thymol crystals?

I doubt you will find them at a pharmacy in the US. Try online. Here's one place, but there are lot's more if you look for them.
    http://www.eepl.com/mentholindia/p4.htm