Thread: Swarm Control

Hybrid View

Wink

What are some good measure to us, to keep hives from swarming?

As a hobby beekeeper, I enjoy hiving the couple of swarms per year I may get from my hives. I try to work around the natural cycle of the honeybee and use their normal actions such as swarming to gain bees for starting new hives, building new comb, sell to new beekeepers or join with a weak hive.

I keep queens that are less than 2 years old, make sure the bees have room to grow and leave the rest up to them.

Having shared what I do, there are a number of things one can do to help prevent or control swarming. From "The Hive and the Honey bee."

Prevention:

"Reversing is one of the easiest and perhaps one of the most effective swarm control processes that a beekeeper can preform. There is generally no need to switch or rearrange frames. The beekeeper simply moves the upper hive body to the bottom of the hive and places the empty hive body on top of the hive."

"One of the most important contributions to swarming is the age and condition of the queen."

"From an economic standpoint, the beekeeper should requeen the colony when the queen reaches two years of age."

"The third management consideration is to always insure that the bees have ample room for food storage and egg laying by the queen."

Now for control:

Cage queen for a week and cut out all swarm cells.

Split the colony.

Cut queen cells, only works temporarily.

Preform the Demaree method.

-Barry