Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Warm Winter... Good or Bad?

12K views 77 replies 36 participants last post by  Ravenseye 
#1 ·
I can't figure this out. The temperatures here in PA have been unseasonably warm. Is this going to make it easier for my hive to overwinter (because they use less energy trying to stay warm and can take cleaning flights), or will it be more difficult (bees being more active in warm temps and consuming stores more quickly.)

I know the weather has ruined the famous Pennsylvania "ice wine" crop....

#78 ·
No matter what the cause of the warm weather, this forum is about bees and boy oh boy, were they flying this weekend. Here in MA., we saw 70+ degree temps on Saturday and I had thousands of bees flying around the hive. Most were orientation flights but some girls were heading off to parts unknown, almost certainly in search of food. I spent about a half hour nearly directly in front of the hive and that sweet "buzz" that they made was never a more welcome sound.

I opened the hive and checked on things. Stores looked good. Lots and lots of bees. Quite a bit of comb between the frames. Basically, the hive looked tip top!

I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to peek inside no matter what the cause of the warm weather. Perhaps my enthusiasm will wane as I consider the issues behind the high temperatures, but I'll share my concerns on another forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.