Checked my two hives this weekend. No brood in either hive. Large number of bees and they are consuming the winter store rapidly. I guess I will have to feed. How about you other Okie Beekeepers are you going to have to feed to get through the winter?

I am in tulsa and harvest all the honey and then feed. I always make sure that I have two full deeps going into winter. When I see them bringing in pollen in the spring, I feed a little.

My hives still have brood but I am feeding.

[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited October 25, 2004).]

Question

M-Man do you have any brood in your colonies?

2B:
    I generally do not feed in the fall; I leave the fall honey for the bees as I do not care for the dark stuff and I make more than enough in the spring to do me and the neighbors, kids, kin.

This year due to the extremely dry Sept the weeds did not produce as they should and half my hives are a bit lighter than I like--I really want to go into frost with a full hive body and a medium super.

So, I mix thick sugar syrup and put two gallons or so at a time on the hive. When I see that they have capped the upper super I quit. Of course if they wer REALLY light I'd fill the feeder but what I am really trying to do is estimate the amount of syrup needed to fill the hive. It is hard to move a feeder with syrup & bees in it.
    Ox