Hello all - I volunteer at a local childrens museum and about a month ago we installed an observation bee hive for display. Shortly after the Queen left the hive followed by many of the bees. We were told it was because the hive was too cold. It is a 2 panel hive ( approx 2ft wide by 3ft high ) that is indoors connected to the outside by a pvc tube. We put a lamp in a small area above the hive but now the bees all congergate at the top of the hive. The hive is displayed in a hollowed out section of a fabracated tree made from plaster and concrete. We have about 6 - 8 inches to work with on the sides, around the edges and on top.

My Question is does any have any suggestions on how to keep the hive warm ? Are there small heaters that can 'pump' warm air into the hive ? Heat lamps that will warm the hive but not melt the plexiglass observation front ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I thoroughly examined a 3-frame hive at the NC Beekeepers summer meeting. It was a closed hive with a feeder attached. The hive was on a table in an air-conditioned lobby. It had small metal vent screeens, and I was struck by how much heat was being fanned out by the bees. I doubt if the observation hive you have was too cold.

I'm not clear on the ventilation within the hive right now, but perhaps too much inside air is getting in. Sometimes the bees just see themselves as a swarm and aren't convinced that this is the perfect house. Next time put some swarm lure or some lemongrass essential oil in the hive (just a few drops). This may convince them to stay. Bees can build hives in limbs and survive. They can handle air conditioning.