Thread: QUEEN TROUBLES!

Thumbs down

BOUGHT 4 NEW RUSSIAN QUEENS MAY 28TH , PLACED THEM IN FOUR SPLITS I HAD MADE. THEY DID NOT MAKE THEMSELFS A QUEEN. THAT WAS A WASTE OF A MONTH. SO I GOT THESE QUEENS . THREE HIVE DOING FAIR GOOD BROOD 9 FRAMES FILLED , BUT THE OTHER ONE BROTHERS ME THE QUEEN IS THERE FRAME FULL OF HONEY NECTOR, & POLLON. BUT NO BROOD NO ROOM NO NEW WAX OTHER THAN THE FOUR IT STARTED WITH , WILL THIS QUEEN START LAYING WHEN BEE START BUILDING CONE ,OR DO I KILL HER AND GET ANOTHER, OR COBINE THIS WITH ONE OF THE OTHERS.WE STILL HAVE 2 OR THREE FLOWS COMING UP . PLUS I COULD FEED THEM SOME SUGER WATER .. .. ANY THOUGHTS THANKS DEANO
    http//www.DeansHoney.notlong.com[/url]

You know Rocky, it may not be that queens fault. If that split was queenless and honey bound when you put her in and she never had room to lay, you may need to decide where the brood nest is and give her some room there. If the bees are only bringing in nectar now, It's up to you to find her some room.

It sounds like good genes to bring in the nectar flow. Even if we were expecting them to draw out comb. If they have nectar coming in, feeding won't help.What did you give them to draw comb on? Foundation, Plastic, Top Bars?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

PLASTIC WITH WOOD FRAMES .THINKING ABOUT PULLING SOME FRAMES FROM OTHER HIVE ,MAYBE SHE WILL START LAYING IF I GIVE HER ROOM/ DEANO
    http//www.DeansHoney.notlong.com[/url]

Drop the capital letters and give her some drawn comb (empty) from another hive. If she's gone this long without laying it may be a lost cause. Better to kill her and think about what to do with the hive. Requeen it or combine it.

Okay, somebody tell me again why I shouldn't look at this as a refusal to accept plastic. I don't think they see it the same way they see foundation. Give her a frame of drawn comb from another hive. Wait a week. If no eggs, then re think the hive. Combine, requeen, get some real foundation.

When you use all Caps, it's interpreted as shouting.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

I would give them a frame with a few eggs in case they want to make another queen.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I would open up the broodnest and get some empty drawn frames in there. If you don't see eggs or larva within 3 days, pinch her and do something else with the hive. I had a Buckfast queen do the same thing, and I was gonna pinch her yesterday, but she has a decent brood pattern coming on, so I let her bee for now. BTW she didn't have a honeybound broodnest either.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Some room and some open brood gives them some resources and you can probably let them sort it out from there.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF