Question

I have Italian bees and while in my flower garden i saw what i thought was a different kind of honeybee. About the same size, completely black abdomen and the thorax was covered in white to yellow hair. Any idea what kind this wild bee might be?
    Deanna

Big Grin

sounds like an orchard mason bee!

>About the same size, completely black abdomen and the thorax was covered in white to yellow hair. Any idea what kind this wild bee might be?

>sounds like an orchard mason bee!

If it was a lot smaller I'd agree. But since it's the same size I'd say it's just a darker bee. I have a lot of them in my apiary.

Cool

What is an "Orchard Mason" bee?
    Martha

kookaburra Guest

What you describe, despite my Italians right there, is about the only things pollinating my pear/cherry/plum trees right now. (and I had hoped that the trees would be smothered with honeybees, but all they do is suck on the stupid dandelions below!)

They look almost exactly like a honeybee, but they are black and the ones by me (I'm sure they are all different genus/species whatever) range from 1/4 inch to just slightly smaller than a honeybee. Pollen baskets and all.

-rick

>What you describe, despite my Italians right there, is about the only things pollinating my pear/cherry/plum trees right now. (and I had hoped that the trees would be smothered with honeybees, but all they do is suck on the stupid dandelions below!)

I have a pear tree and have the same experience. But I do seem to get more pears since the bees were there. The first year I moved there was summer and the bees hadn't been there in the spring. But I never see a single honey bee on the pear tree blossoms.