I did a complete inspection of my hive this weekend and to my dismay my frames look nothing like the pics I see posted. About 8 frames in each hive are fully drawn, but the capped patterns are iradic. Furthermore, I found eggs, pupae etc spread across all the 8 frames, starting at about 2 inches from the top of the frame and going to the bottom. The top 2 inches, they seem to be using for honey storage, what there is of it. I had stopped feeding but intend to pick it back up now that I have some more room for expansion.

This is not what I was necessaruly expecting. The hives seem to be holding their own, but don't appear to be growing much. I picked up one more deep to add to each hive soon, since they seem to have drawn out so much of the first.

I was expecting brood to be concentrated in a particular area, with honey storage in the outermost frames. Is this incorrect?

thanks.

>but the capped patterns are iradic.

Define "erratic "? They often spread them out. Often they were layed up fairly solid but as bees emerged the workers stored pollen and honey in the middle of where the brood was. Then the queen comes back and lays around the honey and pollen. This is not unusual. If you have actual empty cells mixed up with open brood and capped cells it may be more of a concern, but still if there is plenty of brood I wouldn't worry too much.

>Furthermore, I found eggs, pupae etc spread across all the 8 frames,

Somtimes they get spread out.

>starting at about 2 inches from the top of the frame and going to the bottom. The top 2 inches, they seem to be using for honey storage,

This is normal. They always store honey at the top.

>I had stopped feeding but intend to pick it back up now that I have some more room for expansion.

Sounds like a good idea for a package.

>This is not what I was necessaruly expecting. The hives seem to be holding their own, but don't appear to be growing much.

Growth goes in spurts that adjust to the nectar flow.

>I picked up one more deep to add to each hive soon, since they seem to have drawn out so much of the first.

Better to have lots of room than not enough. Especially if they are established at all.

>I was expecting brood to be concentrated in a particular area, with honey storage in the outermost frames. Is this incorrect?

Usually it is at the top and on the outermost frames. Sometimes it's quite spread out over two or three boxes. Sometimes this is because it was solid but as the bees emerged and cells got filled in with honey and pollen the queen layed around those and it got spotty or spread out.

Reasons for spotty brood with holes all over (not filled with honey or pollen, just empty): Brood diseases (EFB, AFB, Chalkbrood etc). A queen who lays unfertilized eggs (drones) more often than usual in worker cells. These the bees clean out. Causes of unfertilized eggs: failing queen or an inbred queen. Sometimes holes are because of a pollen dearth or cold weather killing some of the brood. If it's real spotty (and I don't think your's is, but you can elaborate if you like) then you might want to requeen to see if that fixes your problem. Then again, maybe you don't have a problem.