Thread: No Queen

Good evening,

I checked out the hive I started from an early swarm this season. Its chock full of bees and honey ( mostly from syrup). However, I saw no eggs, very little larva and just a frame or two of capped brood. The other frames normally filled with brood are filled with pollen. I also have not seen any evidence of a swarm cell or queen cells. Also could not find the queen but it was difficult to see her with all the bees.

My guess is they just swarmed? Do queens lay eggs in a dearth? Is it too late to order a queen?

THANKS in advance..

Mike

As always I'll give my advice for this situation. If you can get it, give them a frame of brood with eggs and see what they do. If they start a queen cell within two days then they are queenless. If they don't start one, they probably have a virgin queen that isn't laying yet.

If they raised a supercedure queen or a swarm queen there will be no eggs or brood for a few days before the new queen starts laying. Remember it's about a month from when they raise the new queen to when she's laying. By that time all the brood has emerged and the hive appears to be queenless.

So you could have one of two situations.

1. A virgin queen in which case they will kill the queen you put in and things are actually fine.

2. They are queenless and they NEED a queen desperately.

You need to determine which it is to resolve the problem, IF it is a problem.

Maybe they have no space to lay eggs because of all the honey-syrup and pollen. Give them one or two empty combs with the brood Michael recommended and stop feeding.

Did you ever requeen the swarm with a new queen? If you see some open brood you had a queen not too many days ago. It's possible you have a old, failing queen from the initial swarm.

It would really be best if you could find the current queen and see what she looks like (if she is there at all).

Even an old queen could kill a new queen that you introduce and you are back where you started from.

I opened up the hives again to attempt to follow your advice. I thouhgt I would inspect the hive again before I started switch around frames. After close inspection, I did notice some eggs and larvae. I think the queen just doesn't have enogh room to lay. I inserted some empty comb and I'll see how she does. Nice to know the queen is still there.

Thanks again for all the advice. Apolgies to all for this post. After posting, I noticed about half a dozen on the same subject......