Thread: Cicada problem

The 17 year Cicada infestation has begun here in Maryland. This evening, I was working my hive. It is located under a tree, and as I was finishing up, one dropped off a limb and into the hive. It was dusk, and I was losing my light. I couldn't find the cicada to remove it.

I'm not going to be able to visit my hive again till Sunday (it's Friday night). Will the bees zap it and move it out? I know it won't damage the hive, but I'm not happy about some guy crashing into my girls' house.

SInce the Cicada is not a normal predator of the honeybee, I do not believe that you have much to worry about. I am quite sure that your girls will dispose of it in a rapid fashion.

Check on the hive; the Cicada had been dispatched, and the bees were in the process of trying to lug it out. I helped them by plucking the thing out.

I'm having the problem in spades now, however. The cicadas made thier big entrance this weekend, and six insisted on falling into my hive from the branches overhead. One landed on a frame I was inspecting, and the bees were not too pleased -- I got tagged twice. So apart from basic things, like putting in a new grease patty, I'm going to leave the hive alone until these cicadas die off.