I have read and heard for years now, if you move a hive, always use the two foot/two mile rule... However, I have learned through this forum and Micheal Bush that this is not necessary true.

I used Micheal's method in the following steps.

1. Close up the hive in the evening after field bees have returned. I used hardware cloth in the entrance, as to not over heat the hive.
    2. I then moved the hive the following morning, however very early. I chose this time because of available help.
    3. I then allowed the hive to settle for an hour prior to removing the hardware cloth.
    4. Prior to the removal of the cloth, I laid two small popular branches, which held plenty of smaller branches that were fully leafed out, against the front of the hive. Just lend the branches against the outer cover.
    5. I removed the cloth.
    6. You are done!

Observations;

Once the cloth was removed, the bees didn't rush out to meet me... but instead I notice that the bees just sat at the entrance for awhile before taking flight.

The branches did cause the bee to reorient before foraging.

A few (less than a fifty or so) bees did returned to the old site...which was only a distance of fifty yards or so away. They flew around the site most of the morning and as time moved on...there were less and less lost field bees were looking for the hive in the old location.

Next day there were no bees looking over the old site. Hive is happy and very busy.

Thanks Micheal!

Glad to help.

Sounds like the Michael Branch way...
    Bill

Smile

Say Michael... sorry about spelling your name incorrectly.

Again thanks for the moving tip... it really worked well... I was really pleased.

Bill

I've seen my name mispelled so many times I never even notice.

I have come up with several modificaitons of the basic method based on available labor etc., but I didn't come up with this method of moving. I don't remember where I learned it now, I've read so many books, but I don't want to take credit for inventing it.

I am always amazed that everyone doesn't already know it. And that everyone who has never used insists that it can't work.

Big Grin

Mike, it is good that you aren't claiming credit for original idea of moving the hive in this method. You can however take credit in sharing, what you have learned, with us newbees.

Bill