Thread: sugar syrup

has anyone ever tried one gallon ziplok bags with sugar syrup would like to save some money instead of buying feeder pails i was going to make a slit on top of bag boxed in with small super

droneman: the bag's work o.k.If the weather is warm enough for the bees to break their cluster,lay it on top of the inner cover or atop of a queen excluder if you don't use inner cover's,A little tip if you have never used one,it is easier to fill the bag if you line a can(coffee can )or something about that size,with the bag then pour in the syrup.

I have not tried yet but it occured to me today that ANY container that will fit inside a supper and on top of an inner cover without blocking the hole in the midle or an excluder would work. Perhaps a piece of hardware cloth hanging from the side so that the bees can climb in and out of it would help.

Any objections to the idea?

Jorge

Hi All, What ever you do when using the baggies to feed syrup do not fill the bag over half full and cut the slit in the bag after you have placed the bag in the hive. Too much syrup and it will flow where you don't want it and maybe kill some of your bees in the process. My $.02 Dale

The one gallon size zip lock bags worked great for me last fall.Lay it out good and flat,make the slit toward the high end of the bag if your hive isn't quite level and don't make the slit too big.The bees will gather round it and the syrup comes out easily.The seem to be able to suck it dry with no problem.

thanks for replys going to try it droneman

Be very careful to cut only the top of the bag, using a razor or short bladed knife, and cutting very gently. I accidentally cut through the bottom of the bag, and made a real mess!