Hi all,

I have one hive, am a novice beekeeper, and I have a question.

I am in southern La (super mild winter) and this is the hive's first winter. I left an unfinished super of honey on the hive late in the fall to let the bees have it if they needed it over the winter. Its a warm spell here right now (65 deg F) and I popped the top off for a peek to see how they are doing. They have cross-combed and generally made very uneven comb on the half super. Some of the frames have double-depth cells with honey and the adjoining frame is bare b/c of the oversize neighbor. The cluster is not in the super, but is in the brood box, and they have 2 fully drawn out medium supers.

Should I still leave the honey on even though they dont need it or can I pull it off and harvest it?

>Should I still leave the honey on even though they dont need it or can I pull it off and harvest it?

I think you just answered your own question. If you want it, take it. If you think they might need it, put the inner cover inbetween it and the one beneith it. They will move what they need down on nice days and leave you with a clean super for next year and you can scrape off the mis-drawn combs before the next flow.

Or you can pull it and scrape the mis-drawn frames for yourself and keep the rest to put your next swarm or package on this year. You might want to keep it in the deep freeze to preserve it from the wax moths.

Question

Lershac:
    Was this honey super on during any kind of treatment? If it was, you dont want to take it, as it will be contaminated with chemical residues and should be left for the bees only.
    Kurt

I'm not sure, but it sounds like they just drew some frames really deep and the one next door shallow. You could use an uncapping knife and lower the deep ones down to the frame and an uncapping fork and uncap the low ones and put it above an inner cover, as suggested and they will clean it out as they get time. The only problem is it will be messy. If you do this you'd want the super inside until it gets warm, uncap and let it drain until it's not dripping badly before you put it back on the inner cover. After the bees have cleaned it out you may have some usable comb for later.