Question

I visit my hives every weekend. Two weeks ago I installed Apistan. After the first week I remembered to clean the sticky board. At the end of the second week I examined my board and found four basic substances.

Bits of wax
    Clear bits (some droplets) of crystal
    10 Varroa
    and tiny black specks

Is the tiny black, seemingly uniform, black specks bee crap or something else?

Also, is 10 Varroa in a week a good sign or a bad sign? Obviously any is not good, but I am thinking that 10 is not terrible.
    Note that there is only about three frames of brood.

Bill

the crystal flakes are new wax scales that the bees have dropped.the other wax is probably from bees opening cells,as far as the varroa,i think the initial drop after using strips is the most informative, don't know what to guess on current varroa state.if the black specks are cyllindrical and almost look like seeds,they are probably wax moth poop,if they are more like tarry dark blotches then maybe dysentary,if granular maybe minute parts of dead bees.

The crystals are clear, not opaic (sp) and very hard, some like droplets.

The black bits are like two poppy seeds attached, that's the best I can describe.

I saw no evidence of moths.

Thanks, Bill

[This message has been edited by BULLSEYE BILL (edited April 02, 2003).]

sounds like waxmoth poop, i've seen it on my bottom boards but couldn't find the moths either.could the crystals be sugar?,tree sap?

I agree on all counts. The hard crytal may be crystalized honey. The black sounds like wax moth feces. They are very hard to see, they get into the back rib and sometimes burrow across a comb without you seeing them. Like a worm in an apple. 10 varroa while treating with Apistan means one of two things. Either the mites are Apistan resistant or you don't have very many mites. Ideally you want to do a drop test before the Apistan and another after to compare. If there is none before and 10 after that's good. If theres 10 to 15 before and 10 after that's resistance.