Hi,

I have a 2 brood chamber hive that I put together from a 5 frame nuc in late may. I let the first bood chamber grow until there were 7-8 frames pulled. I then put on the second deep body. I just checked this last week and the bees have pulled 5-6 frames of this hive body and gueen has already filled at least 4 of the frames with brood. Should I reverse the hive bodies to get her back into the other hive body?

Dave

Kevin S. Lunsford Guest

Cool

Hello,
    No need to reverse. Your queen will run out of room above and go below. Your problem is that your bees have no honey stored above the brood chamber for this time of year (you may have some honey stored below, that is why your queen went above to find laying space). I live about in your same area. The primary nectar flow is over, your bees will have a hard time drawing out the last frames in the hive (real hard if you use plastic foundation). If we are only talking about this one colony, then feed it until all frames are filled and some "honey" is stored. Our fall flow is short-2,4 weeks (aster-goldenrod), remember our area has been in a drought, 10-14 inches below normal-(Last year).
    Kevin

Kevin,
    Would you use a 1:1 or 2:1 solution to feed?

By the way thanks for your reply.

Dave

Kevin S. Lunsford Guest

Cool

Hello Dave,
    Use 1:1 for comb building and brood rearing, later use 2:1 for storage. Your girls will like the extra water during our hot , dry days. If you have more than one colony watch out for ROBBING (do NOT use an entrance feeder). Don't let sugar water drip around!!
    Kevin