Thread: Scare-dy Queen

Question

I haved my two packages last Sunday and today at lunchtime I went in to see how things were going. In each hive, the candy plug was mostly gone and bees were going in and out, but the queens were still in the queen cages. Are they scared to come out or what? The rest of the bees seemed docile and were easily brushed off.

The other thing is that they don't seem to be taking any syrup at all. They also don't seem to be building any comb yet. Is it too soon to expect that? It's been three days and they've had syrup the whole time. I think my inexperience is making me paranoid.

>I haved my two packages last Sunday and today at lunchtime I went in to see how things were going. In each hive, the candy plug was mostly gone and bees were going in and out, but the queens were still in the queen cages. Are they scared to come out or what? The rest of the bees seemed docile and were easily brushed off.

Sometimes the queens take a while to come out of the cage. Don't know why.

>The other thing is that they don't seem to be taking any syrup at all.

Sometimes when there is a flow on they don't care about the syrup because there's plenty of nectar nearby.

>They also don't seem to be building any comb yet. Is it too soon to expect that?

It's not too soon to see comb. I would expect it by now. I wonder why there isn't any, but since you are already feeding syrup, I'm not sure what else you can do.

>It's been three days and they've had syrup the whole time. I think my inexperience is making me paranoid.

Is there a steady stream of bees coming and going to forage? Is the weather cold? Is the weather rainy? Is the weather excessively windy? Is the weather warm and sunny?

I would be wondering why they aren't building comb also, but since I don't know what you can do about it, sometimes it's best just to leave them alone for a while and let them sort it out.

The weather has been moderate (50s in the day, 40s at night) and sunny for the most part. There has been a steady stream of bees in and out of the yard most of the day. Regarding the comb, I did pull out one frame in the middle of the hive and it was heavy and covered with bees, to the degree that I couldn't even see the foundation. I didn't want to brush them off, so I just gently put it back. Maybe they're doing something and I just can't see it. I am going to wait another full week from today before I go in again, though I am dying to know what they're doing in there!

The comb being drawn will be covered by the cluster of bees that are digesting sugar to make wax.

Sounds like they are ok.

Question

Greetings . . .

Did you find any brace comb near queen cage?

The side of the 2 frames facing the QC is where my bees are begining to draw comb.

Dave W