Question

Our single hive has had a very good flow this year. This is a second year hive. (We had four swarms in three hives last year and lost two hives to moths.) The remaining hive has two brood chambers and one super in place. The super had no brood even without an excluder. We noticed that the brood chambers were packed solid so decided to remove five frames and put in new foundation. The question is: Can you still salvage the honey from the frames with brood chambers without an extractor even with the brood in them ? The white mush from the brood looks very uninviting to eat.

I'm not sure why you would pull frames of brood. That was a lot of potential bees. The brood is quite edible and a delicacy almost everywhere in the world and enjoyed by most carnivores if they can get into the hive, including bears. However most people in our country don't seem to enjoy them. I simply cut out the brood, feed it to the chickens and cut out the honey comb and squash it and drain it in a strainer to get the honey.

Hi,

You have lost me here somewhere! Did you remove 5 frames of honey or of brood? If it was brood, why? Didn't you harvest the single honey super? Usual rule of thumb is to not harvest from the brood chambers as it is the bees honey. But can be done in some cases where honey bound and more time to fill back up for wintering. As for removing brood you should leave it unless you are going to eat or use it for fishing, or make increase. But cannot imagine extract the little bit of honey out of a typical brood frames.

Clay

If you treated with any type of medication in this brood chamber you should not harvest or eat any of the honey at all.
    Denise

I don't tend to medicate, but when I have I always keep any honey from the brood chamber in a seperate bucket and use it for bee food when the supers are off. If you haven't medicated, it's fine honey.

I'm still trying to figure out why you would pull brood out of the brood chamber. It's supposed to be full of brood and honey and pollen. That's what a healthy brood chamber looks like. When it's full of mostly honey an pollen I get worried.

If you're trying to free up some space for the queen to lay, add a brood box and move some of the honey up to the new box with a few new frames in the brood chamber. Or if you think there is just too much honey (there has to be honey to feed the young brood) then pull some out and extract it.