Greetings!

have been feeding my 2 package colonies since intalling early June. Using division board feeders and checking ~ weekly. My question is what do they do when / if they run out of syrup between checks? I do see them bringing in lots of pollen and as I understand that roughly translates to about the same amount of nectar. Started them on Pierco and I think they are putting all their energy into drawing comb, but I am getting a little nervous that they seem to have very little honey stored that could get them through the few days when the feeders might go dry. I am getting ready to install miller type feeders but my goal is to try and disturb them less rather than more. As the weather here warms they are using the syrup faster...

Thanks - your thoughts are appreciated!

BS

>My question is what do they do when / if they run out of syrup between checks?

Start looking for nectar.

>I do see them bringing in lots of pollen and as I understand that roughly translates to about the same amount of nectar.

I'm not sure what you mean. Sometimes they bring in lots of pollen and not much nectar, for some reason queenless hives seem to do more of this. They also may be brining in lot's more nectar than pollen, especially in a flow.

>Started them on Pierco and I think they are putting all their energy into drawing comb, but I am getting a little nervous that they seem to have very little honey stored that could get them through the few days when the feeders might go dry.

They will find some nectar.

>I am getting ready to install miller type feeders but my goal is to try and disturb them less rather than more. As the weather here warms they are using the syrup faster...

They will either draw comb with it, raise brood with it or store it. All good uses.

Thanks for your thoughts Michael. Thought I had read somewhere that they gathered nectar and pollen in roughly the same quantities so one could gauge their foraging success by looking at the number of bees returning w/ pollen.

Guess I was picturing gaunt, starving little bees w/ sunken eyes if I didn't get the feeders refueled on time